+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Melbourne suburb advice

Unfortunately as others have said, those suburbs are cheap for a reason. I would spend a bit more/downsize and go Altona or somewhere else a little closer in, OR get a lovely big place in Bacchus Marsh. I think in the outer suburbs you're looking at there will be very little to do- I'd either get closer to the action, or be in a smaller town where you can meet locals easier, take a stroll to the shops for a coffee, etc. Bacchus Marsh is still not too far from Willy, I've never driven that way in peak hour but it might be worth checking out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Unfortunately as others have said, those suburbs are cheap for a reason. I would spend a bit more/downsize and go Altona or somewhere else a little closer in, OR get a lovely big place in Bacchus Marsh. I think in the outer suburbs you're looking at there will be very little to do- I'd either get closer to the action, or be in a smaller town where you can meet locals easier, take a stroll to the shops for a coffee, etc. Bacchus Marsh is still not too far from Willy, I've never driven that way in peak hour but it might be worth checking out.
    I am currently in Epping (yes DH is driving from Epping to Williamstown everyday, its pretty nasty ) and find it very hard to meet people here and feel a bit bored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The houses in Williams Landing are nicer than ones I have seen in tarneit/trug. They are also a far bit more costly. Tarneit/trug around the $310-$330 mark for 4 beds and Williams Landing closer to the $350-390 price range. I am wondering if it is pricer there because there is meant to be a train station opening in April this year.
    The closer we get to DHs work the more we can stretch our budget a little because of less petrol etc. But $400 would be our absolute limit. I will have a look in altona meadows. Altona North would be great but there doesnt seem to be a lot available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    The houses in Williams Landing are nicer than ones I have seen in tarneit/trug. They are also a far bit more costly. Tarneit/trug around the $310-$330 mark for 4 beds and Williams Landing closer to the $350-390 price range. I am wondering if it is pricer there because there is meant to be a train station opening in April this year.
    The closer we get to DHs work the more we can stretch our budget a little because of less petrol etc. But $400 would be our absolute limit. I will have a look in altona meadows. Altona North would be great but there doesnt seem to be a lot available.
    Williams Landing is basically Laverton. It's an estate that sits on it's own off Sayers Rd, you'll have to use Sayers Rd to get in and out, that = nightmare. Don't go there. If you want that area and don't like Altona Meadows, go Point Cook, there are alot better parks for the kids and the shopping centre is good. You will have more opportunity to get out and meet other mums, it's full of families.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne suburb advice

Just a thought, but what about ascot vale, Kensington or the surrounds. It is about 20 mins to Williamson and close to the city as well. If possible maybe go the area you are interested in to do your shopping, sit in a cafe or park etc just to get a feel for the place before you commit to a particular spot?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne suburb advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gumnut76 View Post
    Just a thought, but what about ascot vale, Kensington or the surrounds. It is about 20 mins to Williamson and close to the city as well. If possible maybe go the area you are interested in to do your shopping, sit in a cafe or park etc just to get a feel for the place before you commit to a particular spot?
    Haven't looked those ones up. Will have a look on the real estate website for prices.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Melbourne suburb advice

Quote Originally Posted by Gumnut76 View Post
    There's no chance the OP will get a rental at the price she wants in those suburbs. A tiny squashed 2 or 3 bed one bath flat in those suburbs would be at least $100pw more than her budget.