+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Wouldn't live in any of those suburbs personally, too many negatives.
    I would look at Yarraville, Seddon, Altona, Footscray, West Footscray, Braybrook, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, all established older suburbs, close to Willi, no freeway traffic or congestion to get anywhere, better shopping, more child facilities to choose from that aren't full.
    It's cheap in those outer suburbs for a reason.
    Unfortunately none of those suburbs are in my price range. what little is available for around the $350 mark are old rundown horrible houses. i want to stay with cheaper rent so i have more flexibility for when to return to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I should add Point Cook to Williamstown isn't far, but I'm not sure how bad traffic is on Kororoit sp? Creek Rd, there's a lot of factories/industry in that area.
    This was one of my concerns. I have heard it can take a long time to get out of point cook during peak hour because there s somewhat of a bottleneck effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1982 View Post
    I've lived in most of those suburbs and I would pick point cook or caroline springs. Getting out of point cook is much easier than trying to get out of tarneit in peak hour. We have an awesome 4 bed house here for what you are looking to pay. Good luck!
    Would it take longer than 40-45mins in traffic to get to Williamstown from Caroline springs do you think?. It says 25mins without traffic on google maps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Have you thought about Newport or Altona? I lived in Newport several years ago so not sure what the rental market is like.
    Unfotunatelt too expensive. Newport would be great but we are wanting to keep the rent cheap until i go back to work and not feel pressured by finances for me to return earlier than I want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about Hoppers Crossing? It's between Tarneit and Point Cook. Probably the same travel time to Williamstown as Point Cook (depending on how close you are to freeway entrance). Lots of nice new houses (lots of old ones as well) and really affordable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne suburb advice

Hey jez, I don't know what it's like to live there as I'm from the other side of Melbourne, in Highett, but have you looked at Altona Meadows?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BBJunior For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    This was one of my concerns. I have heard it can take a long time to get out of point cook during peak hour because there s somewhat of a bottleneck effect.
    It's really really bad, one of the worst in Melbourne. Traffic in that whole area is bad. Its not just freeway it's in the main roads of the suburbs which are the only ways in and out.
    I agree with Altona Meadows, with your requirements I would look more closely at that one. Its an older suburb but has the new estate home sizes you're looking for and it's a little closer to Williamstown, plus you have Altona Beach close by which is a bonus.
    Is traffic just as bad? I don't think as bad as trying to get out of Point Cook or tarneit and you'll get a quicker run into kororoit creek rd (the way to williamstown)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013),TinyLittleTootsies  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't go to any of the suburbs you have listed, bad traffic, bad infrastructure etc. I lived in Altona and liked living there so will vouch for that area.

Personally though, I liked living in a smaller place and having somewhere like the beach, good playground etc to go to every day. There are two train stations in Altona as well, to get to and from there. Altona Meadows would be a good option as well but doesn't have good public transport so you would drive to Altona for that.

We had a kindy teacher living in point cook and drove into altona every day for work. It took her 45min minimum every day. If there were delays up to 1.5 hours!! That is a huge travel time considering you are living so close really. The calculated cost of running a car every day to work, in an hours worth of traffic, is apparently up to 12 grand a year in a family budget. This is what made me want DH near a train station and pay more in rent, as it worked out cheaper when comparing it like that. (He worked in the city).

There should be houses in your price range in Altona meadows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Traffic is horrible on Princes Fwy toward Westgate everyday. I'd try to stay the closest to the city as possible if you need to get the freeway to reach Williamstown. Suburbs near Caroline Springs like Burnside & Cairnlea cut some of that traffic as the ring road is quite free between ballarat rd and the princes. Check Sunshine West as they have a new state there, hence new big houses, and its closer to Williamstown.

Can you do a drive in the area during peak hour to check it out yourself?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends. I would say Point Cook and if you can find a property near the exit. Along the top of PC road, Palmers Rd or Forsyth Rd. If not look out the back of Hoppers, not sure what the area is called now.....Ask your DH about his work arrangements too as this will make a massive difference if he could start a little earlier or later. I recently worked in Surrey Hills (45km from my house) and it was 45mins on a good day and an hour at most usually (obviously there are sometimes days when it could take 2 hrs but they were rare). But I left home at 6:30am. I now work in Campbellfield and it takes 30 mins but the ring road is not the WGF.

If you are looking at places in Saltwater Coast / Alamanda or Sactuary lakes for example you need to factor in Point Cook Road.

Unfortuanately unless you live quite close to the freeway getting out of the tarniets or williams landings of the world will be difficult at 7:30am.

But the areas themselves are pretty nice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MINIRoo For This Useful Post:

jez  (07-02-2013)