Closed Thread
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not going to judge her. I don't know what it's like to be addicted to cigarettes, but I do know what it's like to make bad decisions.

She seems genuinely remorseful to me, I hope she can forgive herself and move on.

bpac - I don't judge you either sweetie. I heard someone say once that you should never 'quit quitting' because apparently sometimes it takes quite a few attempts before you do it. I wish you success and I hope you get to have your 2nd baby soon!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

I like Chrissie but smoking during pregnancy is unacceptable and selfish!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lisa6111 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

It does trigger reward and no matter what anyone says it helps with stress and becomes a coping tool, taking a break from work for a smoke is the hardest.
    All habits that can be broken though, your brain can form new behaviours, new reward triggers. Worst thing you can do is use substitutes though, like lollies/sugar especially. Every time I crave, still do always will, I think about what it will do to me, there are all negatives, no positives.
    No one is perfect, I think she struggles with her health in general.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm hoping that this whole thing might actually open up more avenues for pregnant women who are smokers to get help and advice and SUPPORT in trying to quit.

Yes, I gave up, but it was bloody hard! And I'd only been a smoker for a year or two. My mother smoked through her pregnancy with twins - her Dr told her that the high BP and stress her body was going through trying to quit was more harmful than the smoking which was maybe 5 a day. He smoked for about 20 years before this.

I feel for Chrissy. And whoever it was that said "She's only sorry because she got caught" - That's a load of bull. If you can name one woman who hasn't felt guilty about something far less during pregnancy...

I think good on her. She's not saying "I'm allowed and it's ok because I'm addicted" she's saying "I feel terrible and awful but can't stop". And given I suffer an addiction currently (which is also not illegal, pregnant or otherwise) I COMPLETELY understand.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucymoo For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (07-02-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

I haven't touched a ciggie since the week I found out I was pregnant. I think I will be counting 'days without cigarette' for the rest of my life. I loved smoking, and I have never found anything else so claiming and relaxing. That's the truth of it, for me. If I weren't breastfeeding and concerned about SIDS, I probably would have had a couple since giving birth, but I haven't. It is and will always be a daily decision for me not to smoke.

When the stakes are high, and you know you will disappoint others, I can quite see how you would hide your actions, as I did two years ago when I took up smoking after having quit for five years. I'm still flabbergasted that I was strong enough not to smoke during pregnancy, and I feel for women who struggle not only with the judgement from others, but also with self-judgement.

I will just throw into the discussion that quit smoking aides are also addictive. The step of quitting smoking aides is very challenging too.

Vic, I find your candour refreshing, even when I am challenged by it! bpac, hang in there. I would do more to support you if I could... I can tell how much you are suffering x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No I don't but that doesnt mean my opinon isnt valid. I suffered with a chain smoking mother for many years. My grandfather died of emphysema. I watched my father in law live a $hitty life and take his last breath due to smoking related illness.
    You are of course entitled to an option, validity for me is something determined by others. Thank you for sharing it adds context to posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Leave her alone, her body is her own. All this judgement is just crap. Pregnant women: what did you have for lunch today? Have you spent a lot of time in high pollution areas (traffic)? Drink too many coffees maybe? Lots of energy drinks?
    Seriously, pobody's nerfect.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),Lauzy83  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Leave her alone, her body is her own. All this judgement is just crap. Pregnant women: what did you have for lunch today? Have you spent a lot of time in high pollution areas (traffic)? Drink too many coffees maybe? Lots of energy drinks?
    Seriously, pobody's nerfect.
    I couldn't give a rats what another pregnant woman does. I've said this before. I just don't get the level of sympathy for her. Even the thread in the general section "send a message of support for Chrissy". It's on a parenting website. Are we supposed to feel more for her because she's one of us? She's not. She's a personality who seeks media attention and puts her family in the media.

Good luck to her but if you want to do all that expect a higher level of scrutiny and attention. And don't complain when not every bit of attention is positive.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (07-02-2013),lisa6111  (07-02-2013),Someones Mummy  (07-02-2013),squirrelex  (07-02-2013),youmake3  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am of two minds with this - first I think - don't get pregnant if you are doing something that is harmful to the baby. Some people out there are so desperate to get pregnant/have healthly babies they would never do something like this is jeopardise that..
    Then I think well I probably had too much caffeine (I am addicted) when I was pregnant which could also potentially be harmful to the baby so am I just as bad????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No I don't but that doesnt mean my opinon isnt valid. I suffered with a chain smoking mother for many years. My grandfather died of emphysema. I watched my father in law live a $hitty life and take his last breath due to smoking related illness.
    I never said that your opinion is not valid. What i was saying is that there is a way to put your opinion on the table. You can say what you feel and what you think without making other people (Me) feeling like absolute rubbish.
    Things like "Grow some balls" are unnecessary and hurtful. You dont know me, i dont know you, BUT, before i post anything i always try to write and word it so i do not hurt or offend the person i am talking to. I put myself in their shoes. I do not know who they are or their frame of mind. Its not my place to purposely upset them so i can get my point of view across.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)