Closed Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    PS. Reformed smoker here, but quit many years before TTC.
    Was it hard? Yes, there are still times when I occasionally think, 'gee a ciggie would go down well right now'. But do I have one, no I don't. Same as I don't go shoot up some crack just cos it feels good!
    That is fantastic. Good for you for being able to do it. Just remember there are people out there who struggle daily. I don't have any other addiction but I am really having a hard time with this one. The comment you made does not help me feel like yeah I can do it. It makes me feel lower then life and even worse that I am not as good as you and I can't.
    As I said in a post before, this may be a public forum but hey how do you think that makes me feel. Thank you for kicking me while I am down.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if I believe that smoking is NOT a choice for people. I agree that it is an addiction - I've been addicted myself. But it's still a choice.

I smoked for seven years before I quit. And quitting was hard. In fact, I tried several time to quit, and failed. Years later, I can now see that the reason I failed so many times was because I hadn't truly committed to my choice to quit. That was MY experience.

I know everyone is different, but it is very unreasonable and not very helpful for people to imply that quitting smoking is impossible. It just isn't. To anyone out there who is trying to quit - please DON'T give up! You can do it!

Can we please keep in mind that it is not just the smokers who have the right to be upset by this topic?

For many who have lost babies or who may never have babies, it is very normal to have a strong emotional reaction to hearing of mothers purposefully and knowingly harming their babies, in any way.

ETA: just read the rest of the thread ... Clementine Grace said it much better than I did
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 07-02-2013 at 06:00.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

angelini  (07-02-2013),Guest654  (07-02-2013),Jellyfishie  (07-02-2013),lovesushi  (07-02-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-02-2013),squirrelex  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    So VicPark you have been a smoker I take it?
    No I don't but that doesnt mean my opinon isnt valid. I suffered with a chain smoking mother for many years. My grandfather died of emphysema. I watched my father in law live a $hitty life and take his last breath due to smoking related illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    So hundreds of $$ in hypnotherapy drs and anything I could think of but it still didn't work. Get some tact please that is just hurtful. Get some balls? At least I have the balls to admit what I did and that I regret it.
    First of all good on you for trying to quit. Anyone who is currently and actively seeking professional help for quitting then good on them and good luck.

I agree going up to someone publicly and commenting on them smoking while pregnant is not cool. But I'm not going to fluff my words on an Internet forum to save people's feelings. People aren't going to quit or not quit based on something someone writes on the Internet, so I might as well be honest.

Health warnings have been around since the mid 1970's. If someone decided to start smoking after then I have no sympathy for them. Smoking kills plain and simple. If a person smokes while pregnant or around kids (which I see all the time in public) I think that's stupid, selfish and disgusting. They are my honest opinions and I'm sorry if it hurts people's feelings but if it does I suggest people are just upset because its forcing them to hold a mirror up and look in it. Don't shoot the messenger if you're really just cranky with yourself.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bohobaby  (07-02-2013),GlitterFarts  (07-02-2013),Jellyfishie  (07-02-2013),lovesushi  (07-02-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-02-2013),Someones Mummy  (07-02-2013),squirrelex  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel sorry for Chrissie being vilified over one cigarette a day, it isn't even like she is smoking like a normal smoker. I know a girl who was a full on chain smokers who got down to one a day during pregnancy - and I thought that was an amazing effort. Going from 30 to 1.

At the end of the day, I think people are going to be judgemental about everything. If it wasn't one cigarette a day, it would be eating ham, or soft cheese.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Would I go up to a pregnant person smoking and say something to them? Probably not. People need to make the change themselves, and shaming them into it won't do much more than serve to make the mother feel like cr@p.

Do I judge pregnant women for smoking? I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I try not to judge people most of the time, but I just can't not in this instance.

I wonder if people would be so quick to defend her if she was drinking (more than a glass here and there, though that doesn't sit right with me either) or smoking pot? Both are addictions yet I feel confident she would be slammed for them. I don't drink but I was recently in a bottle shop buying some alcohol for my husband who was waiting in the car and I was given the 3rd degree by the shop assistant as I am noticeably pregnant.

Do I think it's easy to quit? No I'm sure it's not. But it doesn't mean I think we should look the other way.

I'm sure Chrissie and other mothers who smoke when pregnant are good mothers. And of course, no one is perfect, I don't think anyone is trying to say that they are, I know I'm certainly not. But in my opinion, it just doesn't sit right with me at all and I can't help but judge.

(And before anyone accuses me of not understanding addiction, I have struggled in the past with an addiction and still struggle daily - I am not saying it's easy at all, I fully recognise that it's extremely difficult to quit. But that doesn't make it 'ok' for lack of a better word)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that woman needs to give herself a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I feel bad for her that she has to face this publicly. I am one of those that judges a pregnant lady smoking, it makes me cringe when I see it.
    I smoked for many many years so I understand the addiction, but I also quit a couple of times, the 2nd time when I got a positive pg test.
    I didn't find it as hard as people say it is. I read a lot about smoking, not just looked at warning labels, something I'd never done before, so I knew every detail of what smoking does to your brain and body and why I was addicted. It's also interesting because there were times when I was sick with a cold/sore throat over the years and could go a day or 2 sometimes longer without a cigarette and not crave, but if I didn't crave as bad, how addictive really is it? To nicotine not as much as the quit smoking companies want you to believe.
    Anyway, negative images, thoughts and feelings towards it helps you quit. If you truly hate it and care about your health there is no way you'd keep putting that poison in your body and your babies. And keep trying, it takes more than once sometimes to form new habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I feel sorry for Chrissie being vilified over one cigarette a day, it isn't even like she is smoking like a normal smoker. I know a girl who was a full on chain smokers who got down to one a day during pregnancy - and I thought that was an amazing effort. Going from 30 to 1.

At the end of the day, I think people are going to be judgemental about everything. If it wasn't one cigarette a day, it would be eating ham, or soft cheese.
    This is a great point. There is a big difference between making an effort to cut right down or stop and making no effort at all. And from what I've read it is actually not recommended in most cases to quit cold turkey when pregnant? I could be wrong though.

Someone doing the best they can and trying hard to quit is one thing and one smoke a day is definitely Better than more. It's when someone makes no effort that irritates me.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She even hid it from her friends and family. Sorry but whether or not she struggled with it and felt guilty is irrelevant to me. The only reason she came forward to the public is because there were photos of her doing it.

If she came forward without those photos I'd be very respectful of her. As it is all that it tells me is that the woman is lacking in integrity because she was hiding it even from those close around her.
    So no, I don't feel sorry for her. If she did it because she wanted to be open and honest then I would. But nope.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

angelini  (07-02-2013),lisa6111  (07-02-2013),Little Mrs R  (07-02-2013),Maybelline  (07-02-2013),squirrelex  (07-02-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (07-02-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast