Closed Thread
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Ok so my sympathy is not only for her but for every single mother or pregnant woman out there who reads things in the news and things line this forum.
    I can say completely honestly that even if Justin burner was caught smoking while pregnant I would sympathise with the media he would have to deal with. It's not the person it is the addiction.
    You clearly have a lot of empathy for her as you have been in her situation. I guess I was referring more to the people who defend her because she's Chrissy. I guess I just don't feel the same way about hier as others on here. I just see the contradictions between what she says and what she does.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

bpac  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think it's a very complicated topic because there are a lot of women with sick babies, or that can't have children and all they dream of is a healthy child. So to do something that knowingly puts your baby at risk saddens a lot of people and probably makes them angry.

It comes down to everyone's personal experience. I know some wonderful women who would give their right boob to be given the amazing chance to carry a child. So to a lot of women (and men) it does seem disgusting and selfish, it provokes an emotional reaction you just can't help. Doesn't mean they are going to go up to a pregnant woman smoking and say something to them.
    Very true I have a very good friend who has had that same problem. I have actually decided not to have a second child unless I can quit and be off it for 12 months because of it.
    It's not an easy choice I made. But seeing her and reading all the struggles amazing women on here have I don't think it is the right thing for me to have another baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You clearly have a lot of empathy for her as you have been in her situation. I guess I was referring more to the people who defend her because she's Chrissy. I guess I just don't feel the same way about hier as others on here. I just see the contradictions between what she says and what she does.
    In all honesty I am not discussing this whit her In mind. I am talking about it from a first hand point of view.
    I guess she started the topic but to me it's about the addiction and the effects not the person if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    In all honesty I am not discussing this whit her In mind. I am talking about it from a first hand point of view.
    I guess she started the topic but to me it's about the addiction and the effects not the person if that makes sense.
    The suggestion in the poll that a pregnant woman who is smoking be publicly shamed is abhorrent to me. I just don't get why we should feel an extra level of sympathy because she's Chrissy Swan (not that that is something you have suggested).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

The suggestion in the poll that a pregnant woman who is smoking be publicly shamed is abhorrent to me. I just don't get why we should feel an extra level of sympathy because she's Chrissy Swan (not that that is something you have suggested).
    I think she just brought it to the surface for me. I don't feel an extra level of sympathy for her ( thank you for wording it the way you did) I feel a huge amount of sympathy for every single woman in her position. Not the fame but to have what she did recognised.
    I might not have been in the news but I had family , friends, work colleagues all seeing what I was doing and as ashamed as I was I couldn't stop .
    I do admire her for saying yeah I did it but she didn't have much of a choice. If it was me in her position I would have run and hid and never shown myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are people sympathetic because of who she is? She's not someone I watch or listen to, so I'm not well placed to answer if that is the case.

Talking about smoking/addiction during pregnancy and discussing real solutions is important. Vilifying someone celebrity, semi-celebrity or mere mortal is not on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    Are people sympathetic because of who she is? She's not someone I watch or listen to, so I'm not well placed to answer if that is the case.

Talking about smoking/addiction during pregnancy and discussing real solutions is important. Vilifying someone celebrity, semi-celebrity or mere mortal is not on.
    If you read my previous comments I am in no way talking about her. I guess she just started the conversation. I am discussing this from a personal point if view.
    I can't explain the level of disgust I felt about myself while I was doing it.
    I guess the reason I feel so passionate about this subject is that I was so fragile emotionally while pregnant that if someone confronted me I might have done something bad.
    People need support not criticise and if anyone thinks they have to right to talk to people in a condescending way when they have no personal experience they are wrong.
    Last edited by bpac; 07-02-2013 at 00:08.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have mixed feelings about Chrissie in general, I kinda like her and find her funny....but she is a shocking model of health...morbidly obese (and she apparently had no idea her child was overweight until he started daycare - seriously he was a big kid!) and now the smoking thing...

I do feel sorry for her that her transgressions are lauded in public, she is also a self made celebrity, lets not forget she started on Big Brother so she has genuinely invited the public into her life (as opposed to, for example, an athlete who is just doing their job). She has made her name and money by putting herself out there and saying 'hey everyone, look at me!'

People say pregnant women need more support to quit smoking, but how much support can you give someone?? All the quit stuff like patches etc can be free when you are pregnant and you can get psych sessions under a mental health plan if your habit is behavioural.
    I honestly don't know what else could be done to help someone quit??

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (07-02-2013),Guest654  (07-02-2013),lovesushi  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

PS. Reformed smoker here, but quit many years before TTC.
    Was it hard? Yes, there are still times when I occasionally think, 'gee a ciggie would go down well right now'. But do I have one, no I don't. Same as I don't go shoot up some crack just cos it feels good!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Chrissie in general, I kinda like her and find her funny....but she is a shocking model of health...morbidly obese (and she apparently had no idea her child was overweight until he started daycare - seriously he was a big kid!) and now the smoking thing...

I do feel sorry for her that her transgressions are lauded in public, she is also a self made celebrity, lets not forget she started on Big Brother so she has genuinely invited the public into her life (as opposed to, for example, an athlete who is just doing their job). She has made her name and money by putting herself out there and saying 'hey everyone, look at me!'

People say pregnant women need more support to quit smoking, but how much support can you give someone?? All the quit stuff like patches etc can be free when you are pregnant and you can get psych sessions under a mental health plan if your habit is behavioural.
    I honestly don't know what else could be done to help someone quit??
    Nothing is free when you are pregnant believe me I tried. Or maybe that is just in the NT. I did everything you could possible try. Nothing worked then. I am still trying now.
    I do t know about the support. It is great but it is up to the mum and that pressure is huge. Knowing you are failing as a mum
    Before you even give birth is even worse.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast