Closed Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

I don't really care if its Chrissy Swan or a stranger smoking while pregnant, when I do see it I have to admit it makes my stomach turn. I saw a pregnant woman being wheeled out of the women's hospital a few weeks ago (looked ready to pop or she might have been waiting to be induced) and she and her parter were chain smoking in plain view when I went in for my app and still there when I came out. I don't think people understand that it's really awful to look at.

I feel very sorry for any unborn baby who doesn't get the choice, especially these days when there are so many resources to help quit smoking.

Chrissy, I guess to me she's just the same as any pregnant woman who chooses to smoke. It's her choice to put her child at risk, the risks are well publicised. Her body, her child so she's the one who has to sleep at night. I understand the public scrutiny as she is in the public eye and does talk about her kids a lot. End of the day, it's her choice, even if some of us find it wrong or distasteful.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

angelini  (07-02-2013),Bohobaby  (07-02-2013),Disbride  (06-02-2013),Guest654  (07-02-2013),Jontu  (07-02-2013),rainieheart  (06-02-2013),Shoopuf  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    Not what I meant.
    Sorry, they were listed together and I've heard it said many times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    "Disgusting and inappropriate" ... They are phrases that could be directed towards women that smoke when pregnant...
    So you think they want to? I sat there crying every time because I could not stop. I think that making the public think it is ok to confront a woman who is already vulnerable and probably hating herself as it is disgusting and inappropriate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    To an extent I agree with you but I do think that if you are in the public eye and it comes to being in your home, or on your phone (someone had their phone tapped recently, can't think who) or in your car (as was Chrissie) or at your private villa (a la Kate) then it should be hands off for the paparazzi
    I agree with London. It wasn't private. She was in her car.

I don't really care enough about her tbh but I find all the over sharing that goes on with celebrities like her - the 2 radio shows, the tv show, the column - if it were me I'd be living an immaculate life in public!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Sorry, they were listed together and I've heard it said many times.
    It's not the same thing but if the public thinks it's ok to tell off a pregnant woman for smoking then where does it stop?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    So you think they want to? I sat there crying every time because I could not stop. I think that making the public think it is ok to confront a woman who is already vulnerable and probably hating herself as it is disgusting and inappropriate
    I guess it's hard because not all women are like that, some smoke without a care (i personally know some who just laugh it off) so not everyone takes it seriously. I'm certain there are many women like yourself who tried and tried and just couldn't do it, but not everyone is like that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    "Disgusting and inappropriate" ... They are phrases that could be directed towards women that smoke when pregnant...
    Correct, but who are we to judge what another woman chooses to do with her own body? Yes, the baby is unable to choose but ultimately it is the mothers decision, not some do-gooder getting in her face about a decision she made.

I think if anything this while incident could be send a good message to the public and hopefully raise some awareness about the affects of smoking on unborn babies (and children) in the general public. Who knows, it might just be the "shock" she needs to quit. I still don't think she should be shamed for it though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    It's not the same thing but if the public thinks it's ok to tell off a pregnant woman for smoking then where does it stop?
    I totally get your point. It's just that there are well proven health risks you expose an unborn baby to when smoking. I'm really not sure where the line should be drawn. At the end of the day, you can't tell someone what to do with their own body. People will still debate the issue though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I love Chrissie Swan, and I am so angry and saddened on her behalf.

She is not committing a crime. Smoking while pregnant is not illegal. . She is a woman, who smoked while pregnant... as NUMEROUS other women in Australia do every single day.

I think it's disgusting that she was shamed and that she felt like she had to make a statement about it, apologise for it and have it all over the TV and news.

I don't think smoking while pregnant is a good idea - but you know what? We all do things that others think are dangerous while pregnant. We are none of us infallible. She smoked. Big effing whoop. Leave her alone.
    Smoking while pregnant IS a big effing whoop. It's bad for your own health and its risking the life of your baby.

I don't think it disgusting that she was shamed into apologizing ....as I think smoking while preggers is shameful.

I agree with you... Chrissie did nothing illegal. But come on... Smoking in cars with young kids is illegal... The only reason why smoking while preggers isn't illegal is because its a big fat political and legal nightmare (mothers body rights blah blah blah). It's something that disgusts society and is definitely not something one can defend let alone brag that it's 'their right' to do.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bohobaby  (07-02-2013),Gracie's Mum  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Sorry but my first thought is get some balls, willpower, professional help, whatever and just stop. I have no sympathy for mothers that put their babies at risk.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (07-02-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast