Closed Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Erm, that was the first time I responded to you...how am I putting words in your mouth? I never likened smoking risks to listeria risks....I also never argued that every cigarette is doing harm.
    I asked if anyone had denied that statement...cos I havent seen it and was wondering if you had and could show me.
    You asked if anyone was arguing that. I've been talking to benji and my posts come in sequence, she doesn't want to know what smoking does when I offered to post some facts. So she's not arguing it, she doesn't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    It takes just one ham sandwich to kill an unborn baby. Just one wedge of Brie. One study suggests that 50% of unborn babies infected with listeria will die.

The main difference is that ham, while delicious, isn't addictive.
    Do you know the statistics and probablility of eating ham with listeria? Do you know how many babies die from listeria each year in Australia?
    The difference is: Every smoke is doing damage. Every ham sandwich doesn't. If you want to choose which one to take your chances on, smoke and have a healthy baby or eat a ham sandwich, you know which one I will put my money on.
    Smoking is addictive, but it's not an addiction that can't be stopped.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Someones Mummy... Let's pretend we all know the dangers of smoking, let's pretend we all agree it is far preferable not to smoke while pregnant.

What is it you would then actually want from our discussion? You've said you have no interest in forcing Chrissie Swan or any other woman to quit. So... What? Do you just want to publicly discuss how terrible she is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    The way it was written, it sounded like you were accusing me of smoking throughout my pregnancies. But I understood what you meant
    I don't know who smokes or who doesn't so if I said you yes I mean the general you or just in general or a pp. So many people are quoting me I forget who is saying what and I have about 3-4 different arguments going at once.

Anyway. I'm off. Don't smoke kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    I was well aware of exactly the damage i was doing and was unable to stop. Someone telling me how bad it was and all the technical stuff was not going to help. It would just make me feel even worse and i probably would have tried to hide it more.
    Exactly that. I'm not condoning smoking during pregnancy, not at all. I am against it in fact. But you would find that most women who continue to smoke during pregnancy are not blasé about the risks to their baby, and feel an immense level of guilt and anger towards themselves for their "lack of willpower" to quit for their child. They know the damage it could be doing, sure... but unfortunately addiction is a very powerful thing, something which is very difficult to break free of.

I used to judge women who smoked for the entire pregnancy, look down on them and think "I put my baby first and quit smoking cold turkey- why can't YOU", and would view them as selfish. But I am now placed in a similar position, where I know that I HAVE to quit for myself and my child, but still struggle to do so. No, I am not pregnant - I have been told that I have a high chance of developing cervical cancer if I continue smoking. Yet stupidly, I continue to smoke....but hide it from my family, as I know that their nagging and criticism of it will only make it that much harder to actually quit.

It's one thing to be aware of the risks...but you also need to have the willpower to be able to fight the addiction. Some people struggle with addictions more than others, and find them extremely difficult to kick even when they want to and know that it's necessary.
    Last edited by ~ElectricPink~; 07-02-2013 at 15:36.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I hope you're all happy.

Ive spent the entire afternoon reading this thread when I should've been cleaning the house.

Now i'll have to get takeaway and eat dinner in a squalid mess.

Thanks.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (07-02-2013),Eko  (07-02-2013),Jontu  (07-02-2013),lambjam  (07-02-2013),meljemillie  (07-02-2013),MissMuppet  (07-02-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Well I hope you're all happy.

Ive spent the entire afternoon reading this thread when I should've been cleaning the house.

Now i'll have to get takeaway and eat dinner in a squalid mess.

Thanks.
    So long as you're not sparking up a ciggie I see no issue with take away or squalid mess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm unsure what you don't understand. You said:

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    What I'm reading is : I smoked and my baby was born healthy
    I said in response to that since you were talking directly to LJ:

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So bc lambjam is saying give her a break, she may not be making the best decision but she's been thru enough, that means she must have smoked during pg as well? Did I miss her saying she smoked during pg?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    PS no one put a gun to someone's head to make them smoke their first cigarette or to continue to the point of addiction, smokers make a conscious decision to start, if you get addicted, you can't blame anyone but yourself! Sorry.
    Would you show as much sympathy with someone who was addicted to prescription pain killers or narcotics? Cigarette smoking is fiercely addictive. It's a physical and mental addiction. It has often been described as more addictive than heroin. To say "no one put a gun to someone's head to make them smoke" is a very simplistic, black/white understanding. There are many reasons why people start smoking.

To all the smokers, never stop giving up! Every time you 'give up' you are one step closer to giving up for good. Think of it as practice giving up. I know how hard it is to give up. I smoked for 13 years and gave up 11 years ago, cold turkey and on new years eve. No patches, gum, nothing. I just didn't want to smoke anymore. It can be done It took years for the cravings to completely go away and to this day I still smoke in my dreams, how weird is that!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

bpac  (07-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-02-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post

Do you know the statistics and probability of eating ham with listeria? Do you know how many babies die from listeria each year in Australia?
    12 pregnant women per 100,000 will catch listeria, 3-6 of those babies will die. In 2010 297,900 babies were born. If my maths is correct (which is unlikely as I'm terrible at it!) that's about 17 babies a year?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Someones Mummy... Let's pretend we all know the dangers of smoking, let's pretend we all agree it is far preferable not to smoke while pregnant.

What is it you would then actually want from our discussion? You've said you have no interest in forcing Chrissie Swan or any other woman to quit. So... What? Do you just want to publicly discuss how terrible she is?
    Ok before I go. No I've addressed Chrissy already.
    What do I want? I keep getting quoted about different points.
    1. I don't compare smoking to anything, especially eating ham and things like that.
    2. Women should know exactly what is in cigarettes and how it affects them and their baby, not just risks, but what each cigarette does.
    3. If you are having unprotected sex pregnancy shouldn't be a suprise, in Chrissys case if it was or wasn't unprotected I don't care. I do care that she used this as a defence. As in, it was a suprise pregnancy so I didn't have time to quit. She should have been trying long before anyway and not hiding it from her whole family. If you truly want to quit and feel ashamed, get the support you need, you don't need to pretend perfection, admit you need help, you have kids that need you.
    4. Smoking is bad, don't deny it or use 'your baby is healthy' to make some sort of point, because this is what women who are pregnant read and think they'll be ok too and it's not as harmful as people make it out to be.
    5. If I was never judged and smoking was socially accepted I would never had quit, so alittle judgment won't kill you. Smoking will.

That's it I really have to go.