Closed Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So bc lambjam is saying give her a break, she may not be making the best decision but she's been thru enough, that means she must have smoked during pg as well? Did I miss her saying she smoked during pg?
    At first I thought Someones Mummy (kills me to write that without an apostrophe!) meant that too, but I think she meant she's reading that in the thread, rather than reading it into what I wrote. At least I hope that's what she meant!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I just really hate that we are apparently supposed to give a sh!t about what Chrissy bloody Swan is up to
    A million times this.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    I dont think so. I have never denied that what i did was bad for my child and myself.
    I was well aware of exactly the damage i was doing and was unable to stop. Someone telling me how bad it was and all the technical stuff was not going to help. It would just make me feel even worse and i probably would have tried to hide it more.
    My Dr also suggested that i just cut back and even told me to swap to rollies instead as he mentioned the same problem as PP. I still tried my hardest to quit and having a DR almost approving my smoking probably did not help me all that much.
    Same...except I was always smoking rollies and not tailors for years before and until the day I quit. When DS was born I asked the midwife how gross my placenta was from smoking and she said "Ive seen much worse....can tell you are a smoker but its minimal compared to some I have seen".
    That does not mean its ok to smoke when pregnant. That does mean I can give myself a round of applause because I 'only' did minimal damage. That was just the fact of my pregnancy. Thats it. Doesnt link AT ALL to any other womans pregnancy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

bpac  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Funny people on here get all judgey judgey about controlled crying - something that remains debated in medical and psychological circles, yet when something that is universally accepted and proven to be unhealthy to unborn children, like smoking - and someone criticises them, these same people are happy to cry foul saying that those people who are 'on their high horse' or 'saying they're perfect'.

So it's not okay to teach a child to self settle when they are whinging so they can get the sleep their bodies need, but hey, it's okay that babies are subjected to passive smoking in the womb...?? Really?

Oh wait, that's right it's not the facts that are upsetting you (smoking kills, controlled crying doesn't) it's the fact someone disagrees with you!

PS no one put a gun to someone's head to make them smoke their first cigarette or to continue to the point of addiction, smokers make a conscious decision to start, if you get addicted, you can't blame anyone but yourself! Sorry.
    I don't think anyone is supporting or condoning smoking, just recognising the difficulties involved in the situation for some people.

As far as controlled crying goes, I'd say similar to a Mum that was feeling upset about using CC with her child. ie, it's not optimal but life isn't black and white and sometimes we just have to do the best we can at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    No they don't want to know it because their children were born healthy.
    If you're going to argue and compare smoking and listeria risks I think it's relevant, because eating ham doesn't do the above. Every cigarette you smoke does do harm however.
    If you know that what are you arguing without putting words in my mouth?
    It takes just one ham sandwich to kill an unborn baby. Just one wedge of Brie. One study suggests that 50% of unborn babies infected with listeria will die.

The main difference is that ham, while delicious, isn't addictive.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),delirium  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Funny people on here get all judgey judgey about controlled crying - something that remains debated in medical and psychological circles, yet when something that is universally accepted and proven to be unhealthy to unborn children, like smoking - and someone criticises them, these same people are happy to cry foul saying that those people who are 'on their high horse' or 'saying they're perfect'.

So it's not okay to teach a child to self settle when they are whinging so they can get the sleep their bodies need, but hey, it's okay that babies are subjected to passive smoking in the womb...?? Really?

Oh wait, that's right it's not the facts that are upsetting you (smoking kills, controlled crying doesn't) it's the fact someone disagrees with you!
    This comparison isn't sound.

Once again, we are not arguing the merits or risks of smoking (at least I'm not!). We're arguing whether a public figure can be vilified for doing it.

CC isn't my cup of tea, and if I entered a debate thread here I'd be arguing against it. But if we were discussing a celebrity who used it I would defend their right to choose.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So bc lambjam is saying give her a break, she may not be making the best decision but she's been thru enough, that means she must have smoked during pg as well? Did I miss her saying she smoked during pg?
    This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    At first I thought Someones Mummy (kills me to write that without an apostrophe!) meant that too, but I think she meant she's reading that in the thread, rather than reading it into what I wrote. At least I hope that's what she meant!
    Yes I would assume reading in the thread, but I'm not sure what delirium is refering to, I'm talking to multiple people at once.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think we all know smoking is unhealthy, pregnant or not.

At the end of the day, I think Chrissie has made a. Big effort to cut down, and that's great, but it's really none of our business! Her body, her choice. The media should back the hell off.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure what you are talking about?

Yes I would assume reading in the thread, but I'm not sure what delirium is refering to, I'm talking to multiple people at once.
    The way it was written, it sounded like you were accusing me of smoking throughout my pregnancies. But I understood what you meant

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I just really hate that we are apparently supposed to give a sh!t about what Chrissy bloody Swan is up to
    I don't even know who she is

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (07-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (07-02-2013)