Closed Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

Each to their own IMO.

But I don't like it when people finding it hard to fall pregnant start having a go at women who can and don't follow every rule, guideline etc.

I had been TTC for 3 yrs before we fell pregnant with DD. In that time my SIL was pregnant twice and already had 2 children. She chooses to smoke and drink but always cuts down through all her pregnancies. Now I never looked at her thinking wow look at you smoking and drinking while pregnant and I can't get pregnant how selfish. Who am I to put that on her or anyone else? It's not her fault we struggled to fall pregnant.

It's a stupid argument. That is the point I'm making.

Mind your own.

Edit: I should also add my 4 nephews are gorgeous healthy boys with no problems.
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 07-02-2013 at 14:26.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Im with Benji on these last points....I smoked and my DS is now 8 and has no health problems related to my smoking while pregnant....although he does has 4 ears and a tail.

Also important for everyone to remember that not everyone who smoked during their pregnancy is defending Chrissy. You wont see me standing in her corner.
    Is that where the 4 ears and the tail comes from ? I always thought that came from her fathers side of the family!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    No-one's suggesting that smoking isn't harmful, to women or their unborn babies. This is not a debate about smoking. It's a debate about whether people have the right to vilify those who make the choice to smoke, and whether such choices should be restricted.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't get it, you can choose to have a cs for no medical reason which lets face it is putting your baby (and yourself) at risk, you can choose to formula feed 'ditto' and everyone is all but it's 'her choice' it's 'her body' but god forbid you have a cigarette or a homebirth ffs. Oh and an abortion, lordy! But don't live off the tax payers dime if you choose not to have one!

And yes I realize this might not be the typical case too much here on BH but I see it everywhere else! I'm sick of being told a homebirth is risky or disguised as 'I'm not that brave' but no one would dare say anything if you didn't want to breastfeed!

Howz about just supporting women to make their own choices about their own bodies and their own babies, you know those babies you want to force women to have but don't think a dime of your tax dollars should support.

*this post is based on my own experiences but I'm still ducking & running for cover*

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),Benji  (07-02-2013),BornToBe  (07-02-2013),bunkx  (07-02-2013),Lauzy83  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lol, London!

I'm all for education on the risks of smoking - while pregnant or not. Even just being a parent (even a dad) and smoking increases your baby's risk of being a victim of SIDS. Shout the risks from the rooftops.

What I don't like is when people admit they have made a mistake, as Chrissie has, and people go on and on and on about it as though she has committed a horrible crime. I don't like the bullying culture of our media and, honestly, I'm not perfect - I'm just really lucky I'm not a celeb where all of my failings are broadcast for all of these perfect people to cast their judgement and tell me how much of a terrible person I am.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I agree headoverfeet. I think people tend to pick and choose when choice is ok according to their own set of beliefs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),headoverfeet  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I don't get it, you can choose to have a cs for no medical reason which lets face it is putting your baby (and yourself) at risk, you can choose to formula feed 'ditto' and everyone is all but it's 'her choice' it's 'her body' but god forbid you have a cigarette or a homebirth ffs. Oh and an abortion, lordy! But don't live off the tax payers dime if you choose not to have one!

And yes I realize this might not be the typical case too much here on BH but I see it everywhere else! I'm sick of being told a homebirth is risky or disguised as 'I'm not that brave' but no one would dare say anything if you didn't want to breastfeed!

Howz about just supporting women to make their own choices about their own bodies and their own babies, you know those babies you want to force women to have but don't think a dime of your tax dollars should support.

*this post is based on my own experiences but I'm still ducking & running for cover*
    I was thinking the same thing. Am I a terrible mother because I struggled with breastfeeding and DD is now FF?

I think not!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),headoverfeet  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, as I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if it has already been said.

Now...she says she was/is an occasional smoker, having 5 cigarettes a week. But from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), you would have to smoke far more regularly than that to actually form a physical addiction?

It seems to me that it was a "choice", rather than an "addiction", that she couldn't quite kick.

Not sure what my point is, but my first thought when reading that article was, no WAY could you be addicted to nicotine having only 5 smokes a week!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I agree headoverfeet. I think people tend to pick and choose when choice is ok according to their own set of beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy83 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Am I a terrible mother because I struggled with breastfeeding and DD is now FF?

I think not!
    Exactly x2!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013),Lauzy83  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, as I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if it has already been said.

Now...she says she was/is an occasional smoker, having 5 cigarettes a week. But from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), you would have to smoke far more regularly than that to actually form a physical addiction?

It seems to me that it was a "choice", rather than an "addiction", that she couldn't quite kick.

Not sure what my point is, but my first thought when reading that article was, no WAY could you be addicted to nicotine having only 5 smokes a week!
    I know someone, who was a good mum might I add, that smoked heavy before falling pg. She cut down massively to about 1 or 2 a day, reduced the milligrams but just couldn't couldn't kick it fully when she was pg. I would say Chrissy is most def addicted, is trying hard and has cut down alot, but just can't push over the line and fully give up.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-02-2013)