Closed Thread
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 292
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,846
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,889
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

    You writing in capitals doesn't dent my logic. How can you stop some women smoking and drinking alcohol because it harms a foetus, and then allow others to carry out terminations? When you say a child deserves to be healthy and given the best chance at life, would you like to see that enforced? What then stops people from forcing women to breastfeed, forcing them to birth in the way their doctor chooses?

    It is dangerous logic. Best you make your choices regarding your body for yourself and leave other people's to them.
    Absolutely agree 100%. You either support bodily autonomy or you don't. I've learned you don't have to agree with a decision a woman makes about her body to support her right to exercise it. 2 different discussions.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),Benji  (07-02-2013),lambjam  (07-02-2013)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    12
    Reviews
    0

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Haven't read other posts but I smoked every day and then fell pregnant with DD1 unplanned. Quit the day I found out until I stopped bfeeding. Went back to smoking when I went back to work but never at home. Couldn't quit when TTC no.2 and even during IVF treatment, could only manage to cut down but not quit. Finally successful IVF cycle and fell pregnant. Quit smoking the day I found out and DD/ is 4 months and no cigs as I'm bfeeding.
    Point is that I quit when I am carrying another life. It's hard but i feel i have a responsibility to my unborn child. Can't compare smoking to CC or soft cheese or diets etc - totally different. But mind over matter - when you know you're carrying a precious life and when you truly appreciate what it means to carry another life (those who have had long TTC journeys will know), then I think you can quit at least while pregnant.

    That's what I think she should have done but won't go around slagging her as its her life.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to AshleeClaire07 For This Useful Post:

    lisa6111  (07-02-2013)

  5. #183
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Thanks
    1,148
    Thanked
    953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This isn't true at all - loads of women who smoked have gone on to have completely healthy babies.

    I do not advocate smoking during pregnancy, I just don't cast judgement on those who do.
    I was truly lucky that DD was/is completely healthy. However, three years on and it still scares me. A cough or something not quite right and its going through my head "What if its because i..." this is something i will have to live with forever.
    Having people pass judgement on me doesnt help the situation, it makes it worse.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),Benji  (07-02-2013)

  7. #184
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Well maybe you need to start a thread about that, because we have no idea whether these people were having unprotected sex. Nor am I interested.

    You writing in capitals doesn't dent my logic. How can a society stop some women smoking and drinking alcohol because it harms a foetus, and then allow others to carry out terminations? When you say a child deserves to be healthy and given the best chance at life, would you like to see that enforced? What then stops people from forcing women to breastfeed, forcing them to birth in the way their doctor chooses?

    Like I said, it's a slippery slope.
    I have never ever stated I would like to see this enforced or would dictate what anyone can and can't do, it's not my body.
    But I will always reinforce the dangers of smoking while pregnant, not sugar coat it or compare it to eating a ham sandwich and I would not support her choice to smoke.
    If she was my close friend I would make sure she knows what it's doing, not say yeah yeah I know it's wrong, but actually know what every cigarette is doing. It's a hard truth to face and alot of people choose to ignore it because smoking and killing that craving with a smoke feels so darn good. I denied it for 13 years, I know what being a smoker is like and what you're thinking when you're taking a drag. If she really knew and was picturing what it was doing to her baby while she was smoking I KNOW she would butt that shi!t out without skipping a beat.
    So whatever, smoke, don't smoke, but I won't support or condone it.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

    ~ElectricPink~  (07-02-2013)

  9. #185
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Eek! Sorry about that! Will tidy up when I get home

  10. #186
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This isn't true at all - loads of women who smoked have gone on to have completely healthy babies.

    I do not advocate smoking during pregnancy, I just don't cast judgement on those who do.
    Benji. Do you want me to link all the effects every cigarette does to your body? It's not a maybe, this is what it does. Honestly c'mon.
    Every cigarette is doing you damage, it's not just a slogan, but its a fact.

  11. #187
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Someone's Mummy. No, please don't. I am getting a bit tired of the lectures. You stated:

    Do you know what smoking does to a person and unborn child? It is not a minimal risk. Every smoke you have this is what it's doing, no ifs maybes or minute chances.
    Many women who smoke go on to have completely healthy babies. Of course it's a huge risk that I would ever take (easy for me to say as a non-smoker) but I won't believe for a second that every woman who smoked even very small amounts while pregnant will have greatly unhealthy babies.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  13. #188
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Benji. Do you want me to link all the effects every cigarette does to your body? It's not a maybe, this is what it does. Honestly c'mon.
    Every cigarette is doing you damage, it's not just a slogan, but its a fact.
    No-one's suggesting that smoking isn't harmful, to women or their unborn babies. This is not a debate about smoking. It's a debate about whether people have the right to vilify those who make the choice to smoke, and whether such choices should be restricted.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),delirium  (07-02-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

  15. #189
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    391
    Thanked
    479
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by AshleeClaire07 View Post
    Haven't read other posts but I smoked every day and then fell pregnant with DD1 unplanned. Quit the day I found out until I stopped bfeeding. Went back to smoking when I went back to work but never at home. Couldn't quit when TTC no.2 and even during IVF treatment, could only manage to cut down but not quit. Finally successful IVF cycle and fell pregnant. Quit smoking the day I found out and DD/ is 4 months and no cigs as I'm bfeeding.
    Point is that I quit when I am carrying another life. It's hard but i feel i have a responsibility to my unborn child. Can't compare smoking to CC or soft cheese or diets etc - totally different. But mind over matter - when you know you're carrying a precious life and when you truly appreciate what it means to carry another life (those who have had long TTC journeys will know), then I think you can quit at least while pregnant.

    That's what I think she should have done but won't go around slagging her as its her life.
    You did so well!! Great job x

  16. #190
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im with Benji on these last points....I smoked and my DS is now 8 and has no health problems related to my smoking while pregnant....although he does has 4 ears and a tail.

    Also important for everyone to remember that not everyone who smoked during their pregnancy is defending Chrissy. You wont see me standing in her corner.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

    GirlsRock  (07-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Send your message of support to Chrissie Swan
    By BH-editor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:15
  2. Anxiously waiting! Who just knew they were pregnant?
    By Zeddy in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 13:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!