Closed Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 292
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    16
    Reviews
    0

    Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Look I couldn't care less what she does tbh but she's a celebrity and has sought that out. It annoys me when celebrities want publicity, seek publicity and then when it's not all their way we feel sorry for them.

    No one would make a headline about us because we're not famous, nor do we want to be.

    Personally I'm a bit over her (nail me to a stake now).
    I'm not sure that she wanted any publicity from this, she pleaded with the photographers not to publish the photos, I think she may have come out and admitted it as she had been outted and it was the honourable thing to do...just a thought

    Sent from my ZTE T60 using BubHub

  2. #172
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I don't think I did. You clearly said
    Pregnancy needn't be the expected result of intercourse, and in most instances it isn't. I don't have that philosophy, pregnancy should always be the expected outcome if you are not protecting yourself from it. Therefore no suprise.

    I also missed the last sentence before. But anyway, eating soft cheese is not the same. Smoking does alot of damage to you and your baby, sugar coating it or trying to compare it to anything isn't right. It is what it is.
    I never dictate to anyone what they should do. I state my opinion and apply it to myself. I can't control what anyone does, nor will I condone it and pat her on the back and say 'good job Chrissy'
    I didn't say "unprotected intercourse", I said "intercourse". You assume too much about Chrissie Swan's sex life.

    And I didn't say soft cheese was "the same" I said it can be compared. Not as an identical substance, but as any substance. You either think it's ok for society to dictate what another women does with her body or you don't. It doesn't matter if it's cheese, cigarettes, or RU-486.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),delirium  (07-02-2013),SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

  4. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,647
    Thanks
    15,089
    Thanked
    11,255
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't smoke but I am not a pefect parent by any means.

    I been doing this parenting gig for a few years now and I learnt that while I am not perfect and I have made alot of mistakes my kids have grown to be great kids who know while mummy is not perfect I am doing my best and I love them.

  5. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I didn't say "unprotected intercourse", I said "intercourse". You assume too much about Chrissie Swan's sex life.

    And I didn't say soft cheese was "the same" I said it can be compared. Not as an identical substance, but as any substance. You either think it's ok for society to dictate what another women does with her body or you don't. It doesn't matter if it's cheese, cigarettes, or RU-486.
    No I don't assume anything about her sex life. My whole posts were about suprise pregnancies and why people are suprised when they're having unprotected sex. I was very clear about that.

    No it's still not the same and I don't dicate what anyone should or shouldn't do, point out where I said that because it's not my body.
    Using soft cheese as an example is a poor poor one because we are talking about SMOKING. And because it has certain effects, bad effects, people do judge more harshly and there is alot more reason and incentive to not smoke because of those. You are giving birth to this child you're not having an abortion, so the child deserves to be healthy and given the best chance at life, I would say the same to an alcoholic or drug addict, not to anyone who eats a ham sandwich, has a glass of wine or a coffee. Jump and up and down that it's the same principle, well, it's NOT.

  6. #175
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying smoking while pg, planned or surprise, is optimal. It's not. Every single parent makes mistakes. It's just that hers are plastered all over the media.

    As are many other celebrity mothers who do what is deemed to be less optimal. Jackie O bottle feeding, Posh Spice's caesareans. If I'm to defend the rights and choices of these women I can't then on the other hand condemn others.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  8. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why isn't it though? They all come with risks. Listeria infections can cause very ill babies when born - stillbirth, etc. I don't see how they're not comparable TBH. The point is, it's not up to us to judge other people's risk assessments or how they live their lives.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  10. #177
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    No I don't assume anything about her sex life. My whole posts were about suprise pregnancies and why people are suprised when they're having unprotected sex. I was very clear about that.

    No it's still not the same and I don't dicate what anyone should or shouldn't do, point out where I said that because it's not my body.
    Using soft cheese as an example is a poor poor one because we are talking about SMOKING. And because it has certain effects, bad effects, people do judge more harshly and there is alot more reason and incentive to not smoke because of those. You are giving birth to this child you're not having an abortion, so the child deserves to be healthy and given the best chance at life, I would say the same to an alcoholic or drug addict, not to anyone who eats a ham sandwich, has a glass of wine or a coffee. Jump and up and down that it's the same principle, well, it's NOT.
    Well maybe you need to start a thread about that, because we have no idea whether these people were having unprotected sex. Nor am I interested.

    You writing in capitals doesn't dent my logic. How can a society stop some women smoking and drinking alcohol because it harms a foetus, and then allow others to carry out terminations? When you say a child deserves to be healthy and given the best chance at life, would you like to see that enforced? What then stops people from forcing women to breastfeed, forcing them to birth in the way their doctor chooses?

    Like I said, it's a slippery slope.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  12. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Why isn't it though? They all come with risks. Listeria infections can cause very ill babies when born - stillbirth, etc. I don't see how they're not comparable TBH. The point is, it's not up to us to judge other people's risk assessments or how they live their lives.
    Do you know what smoking does to a person and unborn child? It is not a minimal risk. Every smoke you have this is what it's doing, no ifs maybes or minute chances.
    How many babies are born prematurely or with abnormalities/complications each year to a smoking mother drug addict or alcoholic? I would say it's not even comparible to the listeria statistics.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

    lisa6111  (07-02-2013)

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Every smoke you have this is what it's doing, no ifs maybes or minute chances.
    This isn't true at all - loads of women who smoked have gone on to have completely healthy babies.

    I do not advocate smoking during pregnancy, I just don't cast judgement on those who do.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  16. #180
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I would say the same to an alcoholic or drug addict, not to anyone who eats a ham sandwich, has a glass of wine or a coffee. Jump and up and down that it's the same principle, well, it's NOT.
    Alcohol and caffeine are legal drugs, just like nicotine. Wine and caffeine can have detrimental effects on a baby too. It's just those 2 are much more socially acceptable.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Send your message of support to Chrissie Swan
    By BH-editor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:15
  2. Anxiously waiting! Who just knew they were pregnant?
    By Zeddy in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 13:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
The Health Hub & Glowing Expectations
Glowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal training, small group pregnancy exercise classes, flexible mums & bubs sessions, massage, & naturopathy in our air-conditioned studio.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!