Closed Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 292
  1. #141
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Why are people suprised when they fall pregnant? You know how babies are conceived.
    This is an overly simplistic statement.

    1. Many babies are conceived despite the best laid plans. If she was using contraception properly and fell pregnant, surprise would be an appropriate response.

    2. Many people have sex for purposes other than conception. Pregnancy needn't be the expected result of intercourse, and in most instances it isn't. Therefore most people don't live in a constant state of readiness for the condition of pregnancy.

    As for soft cheese, it certainly can be compared. Either you think it's ok to dictate what a pregnant woman can and cannot put into her body or you don't.
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-02-2013 at 12:34.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-02-2013),beebs  (07-02-2013)

  3. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,028
    Thanks
    5,464
    Thanked
    4,401
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Why are people suprised when they fall pregnant? You know how babies are conceived.

    Plus she has children and has quit before, so the decision to smoke again was totally on her.
    Smoking doesn't compare to anything, so why people are comparing it to soft cheese is beyond me.
    This is not a guilty pleasure, she was sneaking around about it, no one in her family or work colleagues knew or would have known had she not been caught. I know she's not a spokesperson for anything like weight loss campaigns or quit smoking ads, but I think the way she tried to buy the photos back and kept it from her family makes it somewhat worse.
    No one is perfect, but when it comes to smoking society shouldn't condone it. She's not a victim so she shouldn't be treated like one.
    So you wouldn't be surprised if your contraception failed and you fell pregnant?

  4. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Um... I've had sex for the past 7.5 years without falling pregnant once, or planning to fall pregnant either. If I fell pregnant NOW I would be surprised, not because I'm a moron who doesn't know that sex can result in pregnancy, just because I'm on the pill and take it properly, am having uterine issues that I'm being tested for, and am not trying to fall pregnant.

    Should women just assume pregnancy until proven otherwise? Should we all be running out to pee on sticks before we have a drink?

    That seems to be almost where some of you are heading with this... because I'm not sure what really links being surprised to discover you're pregnant and smoking while pregnant, unless it's that you shouldn't be smoking just in case you're pregnant, because you're a woman who's having sex, and since sex can result in pregnancy, you're a selfish b*tch if you even consider lighting up when there's a possibility you're pregnant, even if you're not trying for a baby and may even be trying to AVOID pregnancy...

    Sometimes I wonder if people even read what they're writing... or if they're really just that ignorant.
    lol who said all that? I quit when I found out, so I didn't try before that, I'm not saying any of the above.
    But yeah if you're having sex regularly you shouldn't be suprised. Ofcourse now everyone will come in and tell me how they got pregnant taking the pill not missing one and using condoms, or like the last thread, dry humped with clothes on When people say suprise pregnancy because they used withdrawel method, didn't think they could fall pregnant because they never did before or did it a time of month they thought was safe I would say your an idiot, especially if you're already a mother and know how babies are made.

  5. #144
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    I don't really see your point? If someone says they're surprised, then they're surprised. It's not helpful for you to tell them they shouldn't be. To do so would just be mean, and a touch ignorant.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    SassyMummy  (07-02-2013)

  7. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I don't really see your point? If someone says they're surprised, then they're surprised. It's not helpful for you to tell them they shouldn't be. To do so would just be mean, and a touch ignorant.
    I'm ignorant now? Because I think when you have unprotected sex pregnancy is an expected outcome, whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you. It doesn't make me ignorant to know how babies are conceived, but if you don't I would say keep those comments to yourself.
    FYI suprise 'oh wow I'm pregnant' is different to 'I didn't think I would fall pregnant'

  8. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Meh, my baby was a 'surprise'. It's a much nicer term than 'accident'. He was a surprise, and a lovely one at that. (I also took a panadeine forte before I knew I was pregnant at 7 weeks.. there is my confession).

  9. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,846
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Here are my thoughts -

    None of us are perfect parents or parents to be. None.
    We have all done things, eaten thngs, drank things or said things and for most of us, we have all said to ourselves later, "damn, I could have done that better".

    But for most of us, our stuff ups are done out of the public eye and known only to ourselves and so for that I feel desperately sorry for her. Having to plead with a paparazzi to not sell the photo - I can just imagine the desperation she would have felt

    I'm not a smoker, but I did have a couple of glasses of champagne during my pregnancies. I can see the headline now - "biscotti admits to drinking during pregnancy" .....except it wouldn't make the news

    So I feel for her and wish her, her family and her new bub, all the very best
    I was going to reply with my thoughts but this really sums up everything I think...

  10. #148
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I'm ignorant now? Because I think when you have unprotected sex pregnancy is an expected outcome, whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you. It doesn't make me ignorant to know how babies are conceived, but if you don't I would say keep those comments to yourself.
    FYI suprise 'oh wow I'm pregnant' is different to 'I didn't think I would fall pregnant'
    I didn't call you ignorant, I said "to do so" would be ignorant. If you would speak that way to someone then the boot fits.

    You have no idea if their sex was unprotected.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)

  12. #149
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    The fact is we all do things during pregnancy and while raising our children that one person or another would like to see made illegal. If the pregnancy and parenting police cone to town who's to say you're going to agree with what they enforce?

    Take away her rights and you take away your own.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),ChickyBee  (07-02-2013)

  14. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,846
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    lol who said all that? I quit when I found out, so I didn't try before that, I'm not saying any of the above.
    But yeah if you're having sex regularly you shouldn't be suprised. Ofcourse now everyone will come in and tell me how they got pregnant taking the pill not missing one and using condoms, or like the last thread, dry humped with clothes on When people say suprise pregnancy because they used withdrawel method, didn't think they could fall pregnant because they never did before or did it a time of month they thought was safe I would say your an idiot, especially if you're already a mother and know how babies are made.
    I'm not going to lie, I'm so jealous of those that have surprise babies bc I can't get one trying. But accidents happen (and of course that doesn't mean the child isn't loved). Contraception fails, people get drunk and don't use protection. Some women get pg at really weird times in their cycle when they should def not be fertile. It happens.

    I'll say what I always say in the smoking and pg threads. It's not best case scenario and the mother should try to give up. But no one is perfect, we are all human. I refuse to accept a mother has never once made a less that perfect decision which may directly or indirectly impact on their child from 0-18.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Send your message of support to Chrissie Swan
    By BH-editor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:15
  2. Anxiously waiting! Who just knew they were pregnant?
    By Zeddy in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 13:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Ro and Co
Ro and Co kids cooking classes and parties are a fantastic way for children to experiment with food. The classes and parties are designed to be both educational and fun, giving your child the skills they need to be confident and creative in the kitchen.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!