+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

I lied a lot as a kid & I'm very intelligent It's a normal part of psychological development, & a sign of an active imagination (as other posters have pointed out already). As long as the lies aren't malicious/nasty, I wouldn't worry about it....oh, and I don't lie all of the time now (in case you were wondering )... maybe just small ones..."No DH, I've had this dress for ages"

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    I lied a lot as a kid & I'm very intelligent It's a normal part of psychological development, & a sign of an active imagination (as other posters have pointed out already). As long as the lies aren't malicious/nasty, I wouldn't worry about it....oh, and I don't lie all of the time now (in case you were wondering )... maybe just small ones..."No DH, I've had this dress for ages"

That's my favourite lie! Along with, 'no I've had the biscuits in the cupboard for weeks, I just ate the last one today' and 'I just ordered so much scrapbooking stuff because it was SUPER CHEAP on sale!'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

lol - I've never thought of the biscuit one

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

My DSS lies all the time, it drives me crazy, he lies about things from saying he flushed the toilet when he didn't all the way to telling DH and I and his mother that the others have said things about each other. He also tells bio mum he wants to live with her but tells us he only like to visit her sometimes. This has been going on for 2 years and doesn't look like it'll stop anytime soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks guys. Its so frustrating.
    I was very dissapointed with him last night. I found out that last time i had him at soccer training he went through my team mates bags and took stuff out, trashed stuff. So embarassing, when the other kids that go (they all sit together) dont cause trouble like that. I just dont know what to do with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Thanks guys. Its so frustrating.
    I was very dissapointed with him last night. I found out that last time i had him at soccer training he went through my team mates bags and took stuff out, trashed stuff. So embarassing, when the other kids that go (they all sit together) dont cause trouble like that. I just dont know what to do with him.
    I reckon he's probably quite a bright little bloke. It's not enough to just sit there and watch the training or have a bit of play with the other kids. His mind has to have MORE. What's in these bags? Ooops, broke that. Oh well, I won't tell, maybe no one will know.

Sitting here on the couch with my sis is so boring. Ha ha! I know, I'll alter the moment by altering the facts and I'll say she hit me! That's sure to create a bit of pizazz!

Our friends youngest boy has spent his life so far getting into all manner of trouble. He breaks things all the time and gets into mischief. His Dad is an extememly intelligent man with an inquiring mind. Put that into a junior sized body and mind and you get what the adult would perceive as "trouble".

His familly I think see this and accept that this boy is going to be a headache right up until he matures. (say, in his late twenties maybe??)

I wonder if he'd like puzzles (not jigsaws... but rubiks cube type ones... where there is something physical you have to work out. I think a shop like Gamesworld would have something like that.)

All the best with him. I know puzzles aren't the answer to all your concerns...

But I bet he is a little Smarty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

InNeedOfWisdom  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this has already been said, but something I read somewhere the other day was suggesting to modify the way you talk to young kids so as not to encourage them to lie. eg. "I saw you draw on the wall, we need to clean it up now" rather than "did you draw on the wall?".

I remember when I was quite young doing exactly the same thing... if my mum asked me whether I'd done something where I thought I'd get in trouble, I'd immediately say no. I knew I wasn't supposed to lie, but I just wanted to avoid having her angry/upset with me. I think it's a lot to ask of a young kid, to admit to their actions knowing full well they'll get in trouble because of it. If you KNOW they've done something, then taking it out of their hands might help.

Come to think of it, I still did this as a teenager... didn't tell my mum about boyfriends cause I thought she'd be angry. Of course, she was more angry that I didn't tell her, but I just couldn't bring myself to face her disapproval.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree with Renn. I don't ask DS if he did something and I know for a fact that he did. Instead I say "Why did you do that?".
    I don't say that intentionally, it just kind of happened that way. I guess because for now there's only one of him so it's pretty obvious when he's done something *chuckle*.
    So for example if I saw my son suddenly claiming to have been hit when I was watching and knew that it hadn't happened I'd say "No she didn't, I was watching both of you! Why would you say that?". That makes him think about why he told the lie rather than getting all bound up with trying to prove that it actually did happen... When everyone knows that it didn't .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

InNeedOfWisdom  (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Mr 4 lies. About almost everything!

Example:
    Miss 6 and Mr 4 were sitting on the opposite ends of the couch today, and i was spying on them, both of them in my clear view.
    Mr 4, out of the blue, cried out that Miss 6 had hit him.

She hadnt. Yet for the next 15mins he swore black and blue that she did.

This is about everything: Did you touch that? No. Did you break that? No.

GRRR. Ive done up a social story about lying, told the boy who cried wolf story but nothing is seeming to work.

What can we do???

Personally I would refuse to act on anything he said.. even if you know what he's saying is true don't act on it with the reason "You lie about everything so therefore I don't believe you about anything anymore.. until you can stop lying all the time I refuse to believe you about anything".