+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

Mr 4 lies. About almost everything!

Example:
    Miss 6 and Mr 4 were sitting on the opposite ends of the couch today, and i was spying on them, both of them in my clear view.
    Mr 4, out of the blue, cried out that Miss 6 had hit him.

She hadnt. Yet for the next 15mins he swore black and blue that she did.

This is about everything: Did you touch that? No. Did you break that? No.

GRRR. Ive done up a social story about lying, told the boy who cried wolf story but nothing is seeming to work.

What can we do???

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS lies sometimes. I wish I knew why or how to deal with it too. Keen to see what others think.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: 4 yr old constantly lying **HELP**

Jaspers been saying no/yes lying to direct questions and just turned 4. Though if you ask him a few times he will change his answer.

Though I don't think he really quite understands what a lie is. You ask him if he's lying and he smiles nods and says yes, but then he's not actually lying.... So he's very confused about the whole thing really...

I think for jasper it's very simply if he wants x and df says "did mummy say you could have it?" he says "yes" (When I've said no or he's never asked) . Then he receives the desired outcome. He doesn't seem to grasp that's not okay.

So we are trying to just remind and explain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My daughter isn't quiet 4, but we started with her that we expect certain behavior as we are the Greens. Like we don't tell lies and we are the Greens. We use it for many undesirable behaviors since she was 2. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it an attention thing maybe? Like, when he lies he gets a lot of attention, even if it's negative attention?

Perhaps when you know he's lying just call him on it, say you're not going to play silly games like that and walk away.

Then at some point sit down with him and tell him you know he's been telling a lit of fibs and ask him why. Maybe he wants more attention, or feels he's missing out on something.

Sorry if im not much help. My 5 year old seems incapable of lying for some reason so im not sure what I'd do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

*sigh* i wish i knew. DD is nearly 6 and is a compulsive liar. Today she told her whole class it was her birthday and they all sang happy birthday to her. It's not her birthday for months. She didn't think she'd done anything wrong until I told her how disappointed I was. And then it was all "I didn't mean to, it was an accident". Yeah right. Grr..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 3 year old has just started lying too. I think it's a developmental stage and they experiment when they realise that there is something that exists that is not the truth (quite a complex concept really). But at this stage it is very easy to spot the lies most of the time so I call him on it immediately and say we don't tell lies, that's not allowed. I'll get firmer on them down the track when he's more aware that lying is wrong.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Ouch! I hope it's just a phase...

Often kids lie because they don't want to wreck the relationships with their parents, that is when they say they haven't broken something, didn't push their sister down, whatever.

I was trained with my students to model praise/forgiveness for honesty and ignore the behaviour the first few times. If something's accidental you can say ie 'thanks so much for being honest and telling me. I believe you didn't mean to rip the book, and now I can fix it.'

If it's malicious/hurts others etc and they fess up you can tell them something like 'now you're being the kid I know - you must be feeling bad/guilty about the choice you made. I believe I can really trust you to tell me the truth.' You can talk a bit about consequences, or mending fences or whatever and help them to apologise. If kids know you will still love them even when they admit doing the wrong thing, I believe they lie far less frequently.

Totally making up stories is completely different altogether IMO, and I'm afraid I don't have much to offer beyond just blu toy saying 'I don't believe you' and walking away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mines 4yo tells the most convoluted (and completly untruthful ) storys..he told me this full vstory last week about how he lost his tooth, how/when it happened, how the tooth fairy came and left him money etc. When I exclaimed to my friend "wow, he is so young to have lost a tooth!", I found out it was all made up! He'd make a great actor! My friend thinks he does it to get attention, and his stories often mimic things that his older brother has done (like the tooth )

They (whoever "they" are ) say that lieing and making up stories (in young children) is a sign of intelligence! Not much help, but you are not alone. I suspect my DS still crys out, saying his sister has hit him, when she has done nothing....

Thanks
    Reviews

My 5 year old step daughter does this and often I think it's a sign of her extremely over active imagination and that she's bored (very ready to start school) hopefully with school starting this week she will have loads of extra stimulation. We don't get cross we just say "really I think that's a lie" and then ignore her or if it's a crazy made up story I ask "are you tricking me" and she normally goggles