+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HELP...binge eating while pregnant

Hello everybody,

before i found out i was pregnant I was in recovery for bulimia. when i found out I was expecting I upped my nutrition and ate extreemly healthy (no bulimic actions taken), i never had the urge to eat junk or binge. However over the last two weeks that has gone out the window and i cannot stop binge eating, mainly on carbs like bread and cerial but I have also been eating other bad foods that I ushally never eat, and then end up eating everything and anything i can get my hands on...eating upto prob 5000 cal a day!! I am worried that I am seriously going to hurt my unborn baby. I Know how bad this is for both me and the baby but i cant seem to stop. I am only in my first trimester and scared of the consequences if this continues. I do also have lots of fruit and veg, but undo all that good eating with all the crap i eat!!! Does anyone know of the effects this will have on the fetus and can binge eating cause a miscarrage? Also has anyone had this problem and can give me any steps to overcome this. I feel like such a horrible person as i am the one growing a beautiful life and i am treating my body badly.

thanks for reading xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It's certainly better to eat healthily, but think about the poor ladies with hyperemesis, some of them vomit so much their baby would not be getting a whole lot of nutrition and the majority turn out perfectly. I was addicted to sugar throughout my pregnancy from about 20 weeks onwards. I still ate a healthy brekkie, lunch and dinner but in between I gorged on chocolate, cakes, doughnuts, soft drink, I couldn't help myself! My baby turned out perfectly. As long as you try and mostly eat healthily then other foods I highly doubt would hurt the baby (as long as you watch the whole listeria/toxoplasmosis side of things)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sunshine. This is totally understandable. The first trimester is a crazy time when the body is telling you to eat lots, and lots of things you wouldn't normally eat (this settles down in 2nd trimester). Of course you are probably feeling out of control. I would suggest a couple of things. Firstly, do not feel guilty when you eat a lot. Just start again with fresh slate. Secondly, do not shop when hungry. Try to have mostly healthy things in the house and then it doesn't matter. Thirdly, it might be an idea to see a psych a couple of times during this time. They will know how to help if you need it.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In the first tri I couldn't stop eating junk like smarties, pods, general bad food that I could lay on the couch eating non stop. Now I'm in my second trimester, I can barely fit anything in my tummy (I get full too quickly) so no binge eating here. My baby is measuring fine and I haven't put any weight on. I'm sure you'll be fine.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you'll hurt your baby at all but all the stress your condition is causing you is unhealthy for both of you. I agree seeing a psych is a great step. I'm a recovering bulimic too (I don't think you're ever 'cured') and it's such a hard addiction to break. But you've recognised it and that's a great step forward.

Simply not having junk in the house is the best way I find to not binge. Also not taking money/cards out when you go out, unless you really need to, so you can't stop in at the 7-11 and stock up. I find doing some moderate exercise is really good for taking away the urge to eat or purge. And finally I either knit or sit with my laptop in front of telly, so that my hands are too busy to be straying into naughty things.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone for ur support and you all have some good ideas...hopefully in second trimester everything will settle down? xx