+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Strict new hygiene rules for childcare will wrap kids in a bubble, says AMA

• Birthday candles at school to be banned
    • Doorknobs to be washed daily
    • Guidelines to prevent spread of germs

KIDS will be banned from blowing out candles on communal birthday cakes, under strict new hygiene rules for childcare.

But doctors warn the latest National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines go too far in "bubble-wrapping" children.
    The NHMRC is urging childcare centres to stand up to parents who insist on sending a sick child to daycare - even if they have a medical certificate.
    And daycare staff will now have to wash toys, doorknobs, floors and cushion covers every day.
    The new guidelines state that kids who want to blow out a candle on their birthday should bring their very own cupcake - to avoid blowing germs all over a shared cake.
    "Children love to blow out their candles while their friends are singing 'Happy birthday'," the document says.

"To prevent the spread of germs when the child blows out the candles, parents should either provide a separate cupcake, with a candle if they wish, for the birthday child and (either) enough cupcakes for all the other children ... (or) a large cake that can be cut and shared."
    The NHMRC says children who play in the sandpit must wash their hands with alcohol sanitiser before and afterwards.
    But the Australian Medical Association warned the clean-freak regulations place "kids in a bubble".
    "If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don't want to eat it either - but if you're blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness' sake?" AMA president Steve Hambleton told News Ltd.
    He also criticised the rule requiring children to wash their hands before and after playing in a sandpit.
    "Just wash your hands before you eat," he said.
    "It's normal and healthy to be exposed to a certain amount of environmental antigens that build up our immune systems.
    "If you live in a plastic bubble you're going to get infections (later in life) that you can't handle."
    Toughen up, kids - germs can be good for you
    The NHMRC document sets out the "exclusion periods" for sick children to stay home, depending on the illness.
    It states that centres "will not be influenced by letters from doctors stating that the child can return to care".
    "Parents may find an exclusion ruling difficult, and some parents may put pressure on educators to vary the exclusion rules," it says.
    "These parents are often under pressure themselves to fulfil work, study or other family commitments."
    The NHMRC says the best way to "avoid stress and conflict between parents and educators" is to have a written policy setting out when children must stay home.
    But Dr Hambelton said a child's GP was in the best position to clear a child for daycare.
    "You don't want to put kids into childcare with infectious diseases but at times you find a child has a post-viral cough that is not infectious, and I'm very happy to certify they can go to school," he said.
    Australian Childcare Alliance president Gwynn Bridge yesterday said she was certain that parents did not disinfect the door handles at home every day, as the new rules will require of centres.
    "We want children to be healthy but world research is now saying a little bit of dirt is healthy," she said.
    Health Minister Tanya Plibersek, who launched the guidelines yesterday, said the advice was "if you're sick you should stay home".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/n...-1226571089528

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Strict new hygiene rules for childcare will wrap kids in a bubble, says AMA

Oh pooey foo. My dp was brought up in a sanitized bubble (well vaguely, his mum was very germ conscious and was very protective of him) and his immune system is just horrible, he's always getting sick. I rolled around in dirt and hung out with sick kids and ate a lot of communal birthday cake and my immune system is great. Tell these sanitary freaks to butt out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our centre covers cakes in glad wrap and then puts the candles on to catch all the spit.
    All the extra cleaning daily sounds pointless, I don't see how it will help, just add more pressure to carers.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    nanny state gone mad.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (06-02-2013),ICanDream  (06-02-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I cant help but wonder if this germ-fear has anything to do with a decline in vaccinations compared to when we were kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wasn't there a hubber who went to a kids bday party and everyone one got gastro from the kids ( who blew out candles).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Who will be expected to do all this extra cleaning work? The child care workers who are payed to loom after our children are now ment to do extra work? So they would want a pay rise for it ( I know I would) so child care fees go up again.

This must be a joke what happened to kids being kids? Eating mud pies and stuff like that I did it as a kid my boys love nothing more than playing in the dirt and mud.

Cleaning door knobs and toys I think there are better things child care workers can be doing with their time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well I'm so glad I no longer work in childcare! As if childcare staff don't have enough to do with so little time as it is!

Group leaders are distracted from the care of kids by too much paperwork and now assistants are going to be distracted away from meaningful interactions (with kids) to do ridiculous cleaning.

I wish some of the 'suits' who think up this sh!t actually took into account the real world. There is only so much juice you can squeeze out of an orange and there's only so many tasks you can squeeze out of the time of childcare staff.

And all for what? To stuff up children's immune systems when they are older?

Yes, and try telling a parent with a medical certificate that YOU think their child is too sick to come. Yes, the childcare worker with no medical background will sure have a leg to stand on in that parent's eyes.... NOT!

Like I said, I'm glad I jumped that particular ship - count me out of the nonsense thanks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (13-07-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Wasn't there a hubber who went to a kids bday party and everyone one got gastro from the kids ( who blew out candles).
    Who would still have a party if their own child had gastro??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I cant help but wonder if this germ-fear has anything to do with a decline in vaccinations compared to when we were kids.
    Decline? Um... increase. Even if the vaccination rate had gone down since the 80's (which I doubt) the actual amount of diseases vaccinated against per child has tripled.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-02-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (06-02-2013)