Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default spin off: Boys and girls sports

Quote Originally Posted by MissusMac View Post
    Unlike the majority of my the girls at my school I never played a game of netball (unless it was compulsory school sport). I played soccer into adulthood.
    I still have no idea how netball works, I always played hokey, soccer, basketball and football at school

Thanks
    Reviews
    cheerleading is the closest I could get DS a team sport lol He hates anything to do with balls...going to be a struggle as he gets older I think!

Sonja - I hope your DD gets to play again, it sucks that older kids (who should damn well know better) would ruin her fun. My cousin loved being on the Australian team...sooo much fun! She had to endure a little bit of teasing...but, as she was better than any boy in her town/region, that stopped pretty damn fast.

I am hoping that he will soon be able to answer any critics with some fancy moves...i think once someone can show some clear skill, a lot of the teasing will go away. I am slightly worried that he will show them some karate instead if they give him a hard time...he is pretty nifty with takedowns and submissions and I don't want to be having "that" conversation with his new principal just yet lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I guess my kids are a bit young? My DD does ballet, but also wants to do tennis. My DS doesn't do anything other than swimming. I would be happy for them to do any sport they like, but I wouldn't guide them to any particular sport. I would let them decide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you do some searching online for a doco about male cheerleaders? I know there are some out there. Just to reinforce it's something cool that teens and adults do, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    he thinks it is cool...he loves it. He has no worries about wanting to go, just not wanting to let everyone know. He has watched some of the world championships and a heap of other stuff...he also does gymnastics which he has no concerns with. But, he is aware enough to know that people hear cheerleading and think of the girls in lycra at american football mathces

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: spin off: Boys and girls sports

Well good on him for having the guts to go ahead with what he wants despite being aware that it's not "main******". I would be so proud of him.

My brother did cheer leading in his teens - you would not believe the number of chicks he met and dated through there!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
    Well good on him for having the guts to go ahead with what he wants despite being aware that it's not "main******". I would be so proud of him.

My brother did cheer leading in his teens - you would not believe the number of chicks he met and dated through there!

I have absolutely no doubt on the dating thing...i think one reason I am more comfy with the karate club where they are covered shoulders to ankles in baggy karate gi...all this lycra a definite education for me lmao

I am so proud of him, he is not a main****** kid and I love it. I do worry for him though...he has just started a new school after a rough few years of being tormented at his old school (i homeschooled him from mid last year as the new one couldn't take him yet and i decided that it would be detrimental to leave him at the old one any longer). He has had an amazing start to the new school and I want him to feel happy and safe so don't want to put any pressure on him to do anything that he doesn't want to do.

Does anyone else have any success stories of kids beating the stereotypes??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 7yr old who does dancing- Jazz, Acro and Hip Hop. I haven't really come up with these issues as yet, but I'm sure we will. Thankfully, there are older boys within the dance school who DS can look up to.

I also do a "boys" sport- soccer, so DS and I don't follow the usual stereotypes anyway.

I would go along with what he has asked, and let him find his own self confidence. I don't think it's something that can or should be rushed, and I think the best thing you can do for him is not be judgemental of others in similar positions and be his number one supporter (as I'm sure you are). When he's confident enough in himself to be true to himself, than he will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I did 10 pin bowling as a kid...I don't think anyone quite knew how to tease me about that, it was just weird.

In my 30s I still get called a dyk* for playing hockey. When I can't make it to something cos I have a game on, my friends refer to it as " 'jellyfishie' is off channeling her inner lesbian" WTF?!