+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default spin off: Boys and girls sports

The pink and blue thread got me thinking...and there has been something that has been bubbling away in my household that I am starting to try and think about deeper and not getting anywhere.

My 8 year old DS has just started cheerleading...he adores it. He also does karate and loves that too.

Now, there are not a lot of boys in the cheerleading world...should be as it is amazing! The work out he gets at cheer is better than at karate most days...and he has nearly perfected his backflips and walkovers which is pretty cool too.

ANYWAY...when talking to him about it and the reaction he might get from others, he has asked me to only refer to it as tumbling class. Which, I have agreed to (but it makes me feel a bit wrong). We chatted about why and he was concerned that he might get teased because most kids don't know what it is like and would think it was for girls.

He did say that he had heard other kids get called "gay" for liking girls things...so we spoke about what gay meant and how it was def not a bad thing to be gay and he knows that. He also asked me how hanging out with pretty girls could possibly mean he liked boys "like that"...i did have a giggle at his wonderful logic.

So, do your kids challenge the stereotypes for sport? How do you handle it? Should I have insisted on referring to it as cheer and just let him deal with the consequences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd leave it until he is ready to call it something different.
    He is saying he's not ready yet, but that could change as he gets older and learns to manage situations better.
    But i'd just let him have his fun for now

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: spin off: Boys and girls sports

Interesting topic. It's hard to foster in our kids what we know their heart desires... Yet also knowing full well the teasing they will get.

My 5 year old ds loves to dance and I'd love to find him a dance class that has several other boys... I imagine it would be hard though. Plus.. He doesn't want to do hip hop he dances more like male ballet dancers would. I looked up male dancers on YouTube and he loved it! He kept saying he wants to do that..
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Ha even when I was in primary school I got teased for doing ballet.. Um Im a girl, leave me alone but I don't think you should make him call it cheerleading if he's worried of getting teased, let him 'come out' with it when he wants (even talking about a 'girl sport' is gay lol, damn society).

In my town, the majority of kids who do gymnastics in those painfully looking tight tights are boys when I always thought it was more a girls things, so things change.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Interesting topic. It's hard to foster in our kids what we know their heart desires... Yet also knowing full well the teasing they will get.

My 5 year old ds loves to dance and I'd love to find him a dance class that has several other boys... I imagine it would be hard though. Plus.. He doesn't want to do hip hop he dances more like male ballet dancers would. I looked up male dancers on YouTube and he loved it! He kept saying he wants to do that..
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    My brother and neighbour did ballet with me when we were little, all the other girls swooned over them! And in high school a boy a year or so below me took up dancing and got all the ladies then too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Interesting topic. It's hard to foster in our kids what we know their heart desires... Yet also knowing full well the teasing they will get. My 5 year old ds loves to dance and I'd love to find him a dance class that has several other boys... I imagine it would be hard though. Plus.. He doesn't want to do hip hop he dances more like male ballet dancers would. I looked up male dancers on YouTube and he loved it! He kept saying he wants to do that.. Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Man, put him in ballet. Those dudes are FIT!!! I remember seeing something on tv that compared the fitness of AFL players to ballet dancers and the dancers ran circles around them!!Plus you might find that there'll be a few boys in the class that have grown up watching their sisters dance etc and want to do it!Just put on Billy Elliot
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    He also asked me how hanging out with pretty girls could possibly mean he liked boys "like that"...i did have a giggle at his wonderful logic.
    Reminds me of that movie where the two star footballers ditch football camp so they can go to cheerleading camp and pick up girls.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 06-02-2013 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it is great that he is doing cheer. but if he isnt ready for people to know then i think you need to call it whatever he wants. it sounds like a fun thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I am not going to push him. I think i feel like a bit of a hypocrite though...having to talk to him about all the different stereotypes and why they are rubbish...but then pandering to them!

I post lots of his karate stuff on FB (overseas family) but I have this awesome pic of him up on top of a cheer stunt and i don't feel I can post it...but I am so damn proud of him and I want to share it...but some of my friends are his friends mothers and I don't want to "out" him

I always admire the girls who play AFL etc...my cousin was on the female Australian Cricket Team, I was so proud of her!!

Male dancers are amazingly fit..as are the cheer guys (omg the muscles on one of his teachers is possibly why so many mums stay to watch lol)....they work so hard!

I hate that i feel so torn...is it just me or is more accepted for girls to play boys sport than for boys to play a so called "girls" sport??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My son isn't old enough to care (he does ballet and he's almost 2) but dd1 does cricket at school at lunch time and got teased by the year 6 girls for being a tomboy. She stopped playing. I'm going to talk to the teacher who organises it to encourage her back into it.

Of the 250 or so kids who are eligible to play (ie not kindies or preprimary kids) she's the only girl who plays. It's hard as I don't want her to miss out but I'm also aware that being teased is rough for anyone to endure.

Personally I loathe team sports dominated by girls as they can be so b!tchy so I'm encouraging her into as many gender neutral or boy sports as I can.

Thanks
    Reviews

Unlike the majority of my the girls at my school I never played a game of netball (unless it was compulsory school sport). I played soccer into adulthood.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissusMac For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (06-02-2013)