+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep bags - need some assistance

Hi all
    I've been using a love to dream swaddle (the one with the arms up) for my little one since she was a newborn. She's nearly 4 months now, so we're getting to that stage where we need to plan what to do next as she can't stay in this one when she starts to roll.
    What do you sleep your little ones in?
    I'm tossing up whether to buy the 50/50 swaddle as a transition, so I can try with one arm out for a while, then both arms out. OR do I just buy one with no arms .. or go away from a sleep bag altogether and just tuck her in her cot with sheets and blankets.
    From prior experience .. what do you all recommend?
    She's not a great sleeper as it is (2 hour blocks at night if I'm lucky), so I'd like to disrupt this as little as possible.
    Any help would be really appreciated. Also - when you use the sleep bags with no arms - what do you dress your little ones in for sleepy time?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I recently bought a 50/50 for my dd who is nearly 3 months. So far I've got one arm out and all is going well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I used the SwaddleMe wrap with velcro up until about 4 months, then reverted back to stretchy cotton square wraps (made of tshirt material so they are stretchy and grip well) and left one arm out and one arm wrapped by her side, and today, I got her first grobag which she is sleeping in for the first time as we speak. She started rolling a week ago at exactly 6 months of age. Between 4 mths and 6 months was a bit tricky because she would still startle if both her arms were out so that is why I kept wrapping her with only one arm out. One arm out worked for a few months, and now she is rolling, it will be a grobag until she goes to a big bed. Under the grobag, I will dress her in a onesie (long or short depending on the weather and always socks on the feet so she can't get traction and move around too much). A friend of mine told me about the sock thing and I think it helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are using the love to dream at the moment too. Swaddling is a great thing to help them sleep but it's a monster when it comes to weaning!!! My bub is also 4 months and shows signs he may roll over so I am getting a big headache with what to do, to swaddle or not swaddle?! He still has the startle reflex. I read it can go up to 6 months!

We are trying to swaddle him arms up within the love to dream and he doesn't seem to startle as much compared to arms out in sleeping bag. He has a lot of trouble trying to fall asleep when we tried the sleeping bag. At night temp drops so I tend to let him wear a LS onesie inside the sleeping bag. One night his little arms got so cold I put mittens on his hands.

So I think for us, we would continue to keep him in his love to dream swaddle arms up till his startle reflex goes. Meanwhile, keeping him from rolling using a sleep wedge. Then will try one arm out (we got a convertible woombie for that cos our love to dream is not the 50/50type) then two arms. Then go into sleeping bag with both arms out. Theory only, may not work cos I have trialled and errored and so far every time back to square one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wean from swaddle to sleeping bags by using a cot sheet to wrap bub up whilst in the bag.

That way the bag becomes the new sleep cue and you can loosen the for sheet as required.

My 7mth is still wrapped up arms out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been using the Love to Dream swaddles with our DS as well. He loves them and has developed a very (very!) strong sleep association with them. Only problem is he's now starting to roll (he's 14 weeks) and is developing a preference for sleeping on his side. Luckily his startle reflex has subsided so we've bought the 50-50 to try and gradually wean him into sleeping bags.

Thanks
    Reviews

U can buy these things called a safe t wrap. I haven't tried it but it looks good to stop bubs from rolling, even in a swaddle. Google it for proper info.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD used the Love to Dream and transitioned to sleeping bag with arms out easy. Night sleeps were easier than the day sleeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went from the Love to Dream to a grobag and 'sleepy wings'. The sleepy wings have been designed by a mther for exactly the reason you are writing about. They transition great because their arms are still up but have a bit more stretching room and are safe if the baby is rolling over. My girl loves her sleepy wings.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just kept using them even when mine could roll, she had enough movement to push herself up and over when needed, then moved to sleepy wings and grobag at about 9 mths