+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did teething affect your bub's night-time sleep?

My 9mo DS has turned into a rotten night-time sleeper. I'm so angry at myself because I think somewhere down the line in the past few months I've got him used to having a BF during the night (told myself he'd started waking up for extra milk due to developmental growth spurt etc), so I think that's part of the problem. But I also really believe he's having teething pains - that's also what our GP said when I took him to have his ears checked (just in case it was an ear infection keeping him awake).

I know I've got some work to do (read: some awful nights ahead!) to break him of the night-feeding habit, but I just wanted to know what other Hubbers think about the possibility that teething pain might be making him wake more often. I mean, is it just a myth? Or do you think it really does cause them that much discomfort? He's still toothless but one of his bottom ones finally broke through a couple of days ago (after presenting as a big lump in his gum for ages) BUT THEN IT DISAPPEARED! I asked the GP about it and she said, "Yep - happens all the time. The tooth comes up and then kind of retracts and gets covered over by gum flesh again for a short time". Weird! Anyway, point is that I know he's teething - I'm just not sure whether it's so painful that it's making him wake so often during the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Teething most definitely changed my DSs night time sleeping. It went to hell!!!!! He went from sleeping through to waking multiple times a night. Hang in there, it does get better

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, yes I do believe that teething causes night waking. I think the pain is easier to ignore during the day and harder at night when you are laying down.

I also think there is nothing wrong with a 9 month old feeding at night. In my mothers group it was more common than those that slept through till well after the bubs turned 12 months. My experience of the 9-12 month time was that it was a bad time for sleep as there are so many things happening with your bubs: movement, growth, communication development etc. Don't feel bad for responding to them when they need it.

PS. DS got his first tooth around the same age and it came and went a few times before popping through. His 6th tooth is now coming and doing the same thing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013),smallpotatoes  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Did teething affect your bub's night-time sleep?

It affected my ds's sleep..not sure how old he was but even when the molars were coming through it was still having an affect on his night sleeps. When teething he would wake up once throughout the night.usually between 1&3am and we would be up for an hr or two. When all his teeth were through..we began sleeping through the night again and its never happened since..thank heavens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mummakat For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If even gas passing through a bub's gut can cause him to grunt and whinge in pain, or even a need to burp can make them cry in their sleep, I really am not surprised teething pains can make their sleep bad. I truly believe they can cause more night wakings. They only can cry, they cannot talk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2TwoDSs For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no. my dd slept more while teething, wasnt interested in doing much, she'd get red cheeks, go off her food and get severe nappy rash tho. she was never interested in teethers, cold washers ect.. but loved a rusk. i dosed her up on panadol mornings and just before bed at night. we'd get thru it then another would appear! Her molars gave her the most trouble.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Does your DS have reflux or silent reflux? Teething can make reflux worse and definitely interrupts night sleep!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My dd1 was shocking 6/7-8/9 months. Waking 1-2hrly for feeds and then settled to 2 overnight feeds till 14mths. She went from 10-12hrs overnight from 5wks to that and I was in deep shock.

I agree with ILoveHats. This age group is peppered with many developments and bubs sleep can be very intermittent.

Teething effects babies in many different ways. Some babies are in full on pain, others are in discomfort and there are some that are just unsettled. I don't like using panadol /nurofen for teething as it can be a protracted affair. If you are bf-ing just keep doing that. The hormones from bm will make your bub feel happier for a bit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Does your DS have reflux or silent reflux? Teething can make reflux worse and definitely interrupts night sleep!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, no reflux or anything like that - doctor gave him a clean bill of health today (apart from the minor cold he's got - but his sleep patterns are still bad regardless). I gave him some paracetamol before bed tonight, but he still had two big cries (really, really wailing) after I put him down. Went in each time to sooth him with a cuddle the first time and then a back-rub the second, and now he's asleep. I've decided my first step is going to be breaking him of the habit of needing a BF to fall back to sleep after he wakes up crying. Then after I've got that under control I'll work on trying to get him to settle himself back to sleep during the night. Gawd, I'm exhausted just thinking about all this! If I was smart I'd be going to bed very soon, in anticipation of another cr@ppy night...!