+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any red hair dye experts???

I had my hair dyed an auburn just over a week ago and iv washed if every 3 days, everytime I wash it it runs quite a bit! Is this normal?? I'm starting to think red hair is a pain in the a$$ to maintain! Am I right? Oh another thing if I was to go for a swim would the colour run in the pool water like it does in the shower? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Get a copper shampoo. I went from blonde to intense copper and within two weeks it was so faded and looked crap. I was told to use a copper shampoo by the hairdressers at hair warehouse and it has helped to Maintain the colour. It still fades a little but by that time I have regrowth and need to dye it again anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Iv got the John frieda - radiant red shampoo and conditioner.

Thanks
    Reviews

Red is the hardest to keep in apparently. I can't remember why. I've never been able to keep red in my hair it just fades really quick.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I only have the running problem for my first two washes and the dye holds pretty well in my hair. It might depend what dye is being used as well, and a colour lock shampoo is alright in helping too, but if you get one specifically for red hair then it should last better. I'm not sure what I'm doing different or if it's just my hair type that holds the dye though?

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews

Iv had bright red/purple hair for years and it is a pain unfortunately. I usually dye it every 4 weeks but am lazy at the moment (ps. using henna dye while pregnant)
    Use a specific shampoo for red dyed hair and it will last a little longer.
    I find after 1st dying it, if I get caught in the rain, little red drips fall off and stain my skin or clothes but after the 1st wash or 2nd, it's ok and doesn't do this.
    I find swimming does strip the colour (so never put my head under :/) but iv never noticed a 'trail' of colour just noticed it looked dull after.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Any red hair dye experts???

Hi
    Just a few words of advice with red hair as i have red hair and am a hair dresser too.
    First the colour red is a very difficult colour to put in and take out.there are lot of factors involved in the process.were you blonde before or you dark naturally?have you had foils?

Yes it does fade as fast as the next shampoo.yes it will fade faster if you swim in a pool or in the sea.
    Its not the products fault just the red pigment doesn't stick on hair for long.
    I use this fantastic thing called "fabulouso"its a conditioner that stains your hair red.there are 2 shades of this conditioner for red hair.I use it every 2nd time I wash my hair.I also use kerastase for coloured hair and I've also used John frieda red head too.which helps a lot.

there is no point colouring ur hair often unless you do your regular 5-6 weeks growth. Its just gonna damage your hair.
    Hope this helps.
    :beer:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Any red hair dye experts???

Quote Originally Posted by mum2mj View Post
    I had my hair dyed an auburn just over a week ago and iv washed if every 3 days, everytime I wash it it runs quite a bit! Is this normal?? I'm starting to think red hair is a pain in the a$$ to maintain! Am I right? Oh another thing if I was to go for a swim would the colour run in the pool water like it does in the shower? TIA
    no it won't run like in the shower. Your towel will stain though. Lol you must be experiencing that now anyway. Stay away from whites. Good luck with your pillow cases if you sleep with wet hair he he.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitly use a red conditioner that stains your hair
    - ANY bleach/lightening will effect the colour holding
    - If your hair is generally weak or unhealthy (reds usually are because of lightening) the colour wont hold
    - Usually takes quite a few colours/semis to build up the colour
    (dont bother doing this if your having trouble/dont want to maintain it) Your hair will get to the point it grabs the colour and will be an even bigger pain to get out