+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Seeking advice/words of wisdom/slap in the face, anything!

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice or knowledge regarding the ultrasound I had today.

First let me give a bit of a background... My first pregnancy had quite rare circumstances. After being admitted to hospital in agonising pain it was found I was pregnant with twins, only one was in my uterus and one was an ectopic in my tube. The tube had ruptured and was removed, and I also have a healthy 6 year old daughter from that pregnancy.

So now I am pregnant again and obviously worried about more complications. I was sent today for an early scan to rule out another ectopic.

By my dates I put myself at 6 weeks, 2 days. My LMP was 24th December and according to the app I use I should have ovulated around the 7th January. DH and I have been trying to conceive for around 8 months and for my last cycle had somewhat 'given up' or were having a bit of a break from trying to conceive. We 'did the deed' (sorry tmi) only two times within that cycle, 31st December and 8th January. So looking at that we would think I conceived from that time on the 8th yes?

So in my scan today they said they really couldn't see much. From the external scan they said I must be very early, and based on the size of the sac I would be only 5 weeks 1 day. With the internal scan they changed that to 5 weeks 3 days and said they could see a heartbeat?

So this would put me as conceiving around 3 weeks ago in theory? Which based on what I have said above, would be basically impossible. Also I thought a heartbeat could only be seen after 6 weeks? I'm feeling really confused and a little defeated. I thought I'd be ecstatic to see it wasn't an ectopic but I still don't be good about this.

So I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some insight and clarification on this and help me understand it? What could make me, in a sense, a week behind? Am I just worrying too much? Any advice to save me from going crazy would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Oh I should also add that I have little to no symptoms. From around the time I found out I was pregnant I had b00bies that were absolute agony, I could have cried if anything touched them. But that has gone away in the last few days. I get some twinges and pinches and some aching in my abdomen, but other than that, nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and sorry again for my long wind-ed-ness! I'm not good at summarising things into a small paragraph

Thanks
    Reviews

Firstly I'm with you. Not confirmed by scan but I know I'm a week out. LMP was 23rd dec. only time we DTD was 13th jan! And I'm UTD!!

so... Sperm can live in your uterus for around 5 days. If you DTD on the 8th then you may have ovulated as late as the 12th or 13th. Which would make you date a week behind.

Does that help at all?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mumoftwoprincess For This Useful Post:

Jessica83  (05-02-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My scan for the same reasons at 6weeks exactly my dates put me back to 5 weeks 3 days which doesn't match up with the one time I dtd (which was a day or two before o) and my last scan put me back to an edd of 2nd August when my dates had me at 24th July. Scans aren't always accurate and one mm can make a big difference to dates (also I think you can just be cooking a small baby who is at your dates but small to what's considered normal. Not sure but I doubt all womb babies grow the same really).

Now ill go read the thread and see if what I wrote is helpful.
    Last edited by αληθη; 05-02-2013 at 16:12.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Jessica83  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't worry too much, expecially if you've seen the heartbeat, they always dated me wrong (based on my calculations) when I was pregnant! A friend of mine was dated 3 weeks behind her calculations and had a scheduled csection on her due week turns out her bub was waaay over baked so really her calculations were right all along...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Jessica83  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    My scan for the same reasons at 6weeks exactly my dates put me back to 5 weeks 3 days which doesn't match up with the one time I dtd (which was a day or two before o) and my last scan put me back to an edd of 2nd August when my dates had me at 24th July. Scans aren't always accurate and one mm can make a big difference to dates (also I think you can just be cooking a small baby who is at your dates but small to what's considered normal. Not sure but I doubt all womb babies grow the same really).

Now ill go read the thread and see if what I wrote is helpful.
    Thanks for your reply, that was definitely helpful. I think it was more the abrupt way he spoke that may have got me worried, told me the time I thought was wrong and that it was in fact less, just put me off I have been googling about it and for once google has calmed my nerves rather than getting me more worried!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumoftwoprincess View Post
    Firstly I'm with you. Not confirmed by scan but I know I'm a week out. LMP was 23rd dec. only time we DTD was 13th jan! And I'm UTD!!

so... Sperm can live in your uterus for around 5 days. If you DTD on the 8th then you may have ovulated as late as the 12th or 13th. Which would make you date a week behind.

Does that help at all?
    Super helpful! Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumoftwoprincess View Post

Does that help at all?
    Do you have many symptoms yet? I've been worried about my lack of, although I know it's early. But mainly worried because I had some and then they disappeared.

I was in hospital for a lot of this time last pregnancy (plus it was sooo long ago!) and I can't really remember what I felt like then.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also remember, there is a delay between ovulation to conception, then a delay from conception to implantation. I myself didn't implant in the standard 10-14 day window it was 21ish days (from memory which is shot as I have 3 weeks to go) after ovulation. My scans confirmed this putting me 6 days behind what the GP calculated based on my LMP as she wouldn't listen to me about my long luteal phase.

There are so many factors that can put you out by a couple of days order and it can really start to add up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR2bMum For This Useful Post:

Jessica83  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You could have ovulated later than you thought and the sperm that had hung around from the 8th were the lucky ones. Also you could have implanted later than standard which would put baby's actual development slightly behind

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Jessica83  (05-02-2013)