+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Why do they teach victorian cursive handwriting?

Vic, WA and one other state (sorry can't remember which) learn Vic Modern Cursive if they are following curriculum. Learning running writing is in the Australian Curriculum from (I think) about year 3. So typically they start with the not joined up letters (open b, p, flicks) then start to join later.

Running writing is much faster than printing and most essay exams are still handwritten. (basic answer to OP's question)

Children need to be exposed to texts in many situations (eg. Computer screen, books, signs etc) and part of that is becoming fluent in reading many fonts and linking it to existing letter knowledge. Eg. My 5 year old DD has had to learn that there are two common lower case a's - the circle and stick or the backwards r with a smaller circle under - and that both can be written with tails or not but they are all the same letter. This is all part of learning literacy.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry when I say running writing is faster I mean faster to write, not necessarily faster to learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I'm a midwife and all of our notes in patients charts are handwritten. Being able to write in neat cursive means it takes me half as long to do my daily notes then it would if I was printing etc.

And I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that neat handwriting saves lives. Being able to read a medication order or the previous notes in an emergency (or really just in general) is paramount.
    I'm not disputing the fact it is quicker. Just that teaching young kids at a very early age is very difficult. Especially when also teaching computer skills at the same time. Dd1 would often ask where the p was or where the b was on the key board and when I showed her she would disagree because the round bits were closed unlike vc. Vc, while similar, isn't quite "running writing". Running writing is linked, vc is not. Our school have started teaching vc in the beginning then reverting to printing in the older age groups once they know the alphabet and basic words because it its easier.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=vi...&bih=455#i=226

the variations are different between each state

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why do they teach victorian cursive handwriting?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I fail to see why we need to learn running writing in general. I would guess yes it does improve fine motor skills but I still fail to see why we teach them something that isn't used anymore? I don't ever remember using it in high school
    We're still taught it because writing essays in exam conditions in high school and uni require a quick hand and running writing is quicker than printing (or so my year 10 English teacher said that's why we had to). Makes sense to me anyway after having to write a million essays in an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my opinion Victorian cursive is ridiculous! I'm all for learning cursive writing, but when Preps are trying to get their heads around learning which letter is which and then matching it with written text... where else do they encounter those funny looking b's and p's and r's and z's. The Queensland way of teaching handwriting makes much more sense -- basic printing in the first year, add flourishes the second year, start joining third or fourth year.
    And for what it's worth, I believe to have nice, legible handwriting is an asset. I don't subscribe to the "everything is done on computers/phones/technical device these days" argument -- but perhaps I'm just a dinosaur. However, this dinosaur will have children who have nice, neat legible handwriting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (05-02-2013),VanityFey  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Vic, WA and one other state (sorry can't remember which) learn Vic Modern Cursive if they are following curriculum. Learning running writing is in the Australian Curriculum from (I think) about year 3. So typically they start with the not joined up letters (open b, p, flicks) then start to join later.

Running writing is much faster than printing and most essay exams are still handwritten. (basic answer to OP's question)

Children need to be exposed to texts in many situations (eg. Computer screen, books, signs etc) and part of that is becoming fluent in reading many fonts and linking it to existing letter knowledge. Eg. My 5 year old DD has had to learn that there are two common lower case a's - the circle and stick or the backwards r with a smaller circle under - and that both can be written with tails or not but they are all the same letter. This is all part of learning literacy.

All of this. I'm interested in finding out why you wouldn't teach it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I'm not disputing the fact it is quicker. Just that teaching young kids at a very early age is very difficult. Especially when also teaching computer skills at the same time. Dd1 would often ask where the p was or where the b was on the key board and when I showed her she would disagree because the round bits were closed unlike vc. Vc, while similar, isn't quite "running writing". Running writing is linked, vc is not. Our school have started teaching vc in the beginning then reverting to printing in the older age groups once they know the alphabet and basic words because it its easier.

When I started school (in Victoria) they were teaching printing, then during that time Vic Modern Cursive was introduced - so I had to unlearn printing and learn cursive in order to progress to running writing. This was MUCH harder (IMO) than teaching a child cursive from dot (which flows readily into running writing).

I print now and have to really focus to write in cursive (which I must to for work) because printing is what I first learnt.

I think regardless of the font/style of writing used, translating beginning letter knowledge into using a keyboard is hard because keyboards only have CAPS but the screen then automatically types in lower case. But that's something else altogether.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Makes sense to me anyway after having to write a million essays in an hour.
    Wooaaaaaah that's one mean feat!!

All of the above plus I think just because we use computers these days doesn't mean we shouldn't/don't need to learn how to write well, and cursive is all about the beauty in writing. I love it and would be quite upset if DS wasn't taught it in school.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (05-02-2013),MsTruth  (05-02-2013),Stiflers Mom  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm actually quite shocked by how many adults cannot do cursive writing. I often get comments on my handwriting, and understand that I've 'jazzed it up a bit,' to suit me, but these people comment that they can't even manage cursive at all. I just find it bizarre, as it's my go-to writing style...