+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Why do they teach victorian cursive handwriting?

Really curious as to why they teach it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I asked my friend who is a teacher, she said it has something to do with teaching the child control and it refines their skills. Not sure if she was pulling my leg but it makes sense to me!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At what age level?
    From my understanding they start with printing because its easier for the child to learn and then go to cursive in later primary school.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    At what age level?
    From my understanding they start with printing because its easier for the child to learn and then go to cursive in later primary school.
    I guess it's printing but it's individual letters in cursive style than as you said later on you learn to join them all up.

I fail to see why we need to learn running writing in general. I would guess yes it does improve fine motor skills but I still fail to see why we teach them something that isn't used anymore? I don't ever remember using it in high school

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I guess it's printing but it's individual letters in cursive style than as you said later on you learn to join them all up.
    Thats interesting because we dont live far from one another but DS has been to 2 different schools (in yr 3 this year) and Im pretty sure he has always learnt solid printing. No cursive yet or even the cursive flicky-tail bits on the end that you join later like you said.
    Might be a school by school thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why do they teach victorian cursive handwriting?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post

I fail to see why we need to learn running writing in general. I would guess yes it does improve fine motor skills but I still fail to see why we teach them something that isn't used anymore? I don't ever remember using it in high school
    Cursive or running writing is infinitely faster than printing script. Once kids get into high schools or further education and do exams that are time based, having a good cursive script is extremely beneficial. when I did my teaching practicuum it was the students that could write those essays or HSC/VCS/QCS in cursive managed to get the most written down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Why do they teach victorian cursive handwriting?

I think the theory is that it is easier to learn "running writing". It is IMO stupid, harder to learn and stupid (note emphasis on stupid). these says a lot of work is done on computers and computers play a huge role in our day to day living. When dd1 started learning vc she had so much trouble using a keyboard, reading and trying to translate the b's, p's, from keyboard or printed to vc and vice versa. Dd1 started learning vc from the moment she started school.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I started schooling in Victoria, and I think their handwriting is much prettier than that taught in NSW and Qld primary schools. It's not more difficult to add a slight "curl" at the start and/or end of a letter... I don't think it's better or worse, just more attractive (other than the Victorian "b" and "p" which look ridiculous to me).

As an adult I write mostly cursive... and when I'm doing better than just a quick scribble, even my printing is more like Victorian "printing," than NSW printing. I have to make an effort to NOT do this with DD because I don't want her copying me and getting corrected on it at school.

Really, I don't think there's any more or less point to the Victorian way than the Qld/NSW way. All people end up doing their own style in the end anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    . these says a lot of work is done on computers and computers play a huge role in our day to day living.
    I'm a midwife and all of our notes in patients charts are handwritten. Being able to write in neat cursive means it takes me half as long to do my daily notes then it would if I was printing etc.

And I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that neat handwriting saves lives. Being able to read a medication order or the previous notes in an emergency (or really just in general) is paramount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Cursive or running writing is infinitely faster than printing script. Once kids get into high schools or further education and do exams that are time based, having a good cursive script is extremely beneficial. when I did my teaching practicuum it was the students that could write those essays or HSC/VCS/QCS in cursive managed to get the most written down.
    Do you know if it is faster than typing?

Personally for me tying is faster but I have an old hand injury that makes my hand cramp when I hold a pen for too long.