+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Educate me on homebirth

Hi ladies,
    My first bubs is due on may 4th and ive started reading alot of blogs about birthing and im really interested in home birthing.
    Alot of people dont support me because its first bubs but im trying to get as much info as possible so i can make my own personal choice
    So post away!

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What do you want to know?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Educate me on homebirth

Your experience, was it your first time,any complications, making the desicion etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I haven't had a homebirth yet myself, but have been somewhat researching it for about 5 years now... I plan to homebirth all future children.

Someone else might be able to help with more practical info.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaBailey View Post
    Your experience, was it your first time,any complications, making the desicion etc etc Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub
    My experience was 1000x better than my hospital experience with my first. I have had a homebirth for #2 and a free birth for #3. The decision was very easy for me- as safe if not safer than hospital birth with higher rates of satisfaction and breastfeeding. No complications for either of my home births they were very straight forward.Unfortunately you will always get people who are blind to facts and use fear tactics to try to justify their own choices. Best not to talk to these people about the subject at all IME.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my first at home, there were no complications, it was a perfectly boring normal birth . My little one is about 2 now. I am pregnant with number 2, due in May as well, and have planned a homebirth.

Honestly it's nothing to fear. Once you hire a midwife and have regular meetings with just one person who gets to know you and your pregnancy intimately.. well, this is statistically proven to be the safest mode of care - continuity.

If you are in the 5% (or thereabouts) of women who have an unforeseen complication during birth that requires medical attention your middie can't give, that's what hospital is for. Most midwives I have spoken to have cited around a 30% transfer rate of their first time birthers, that's not say so many women end up with c-sec or anything at all like that - most just need pain relief not available at home. Some just get to hospy and push out a baby once they're in the front door! The beauty of continuity of care on such a personal level (all my middie appointments have been at least one hour long) is that your health can be so easily monitored. Requiring transfer to a hospital for pain relief/surgery or just because you felt it was needed is not the end of the world! It is great to have medical professionals accessible when you need them.
    That said, a midwife is also a professional. They carry oxygen, syntocinon, all those bits and pieces.

What else? Birth pools are awesome. A supportive partner is essential - if they can't support you without fear, consider kicking them out. A doula might be good, might be unnecessary. Interview as many midwives as you can!
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by BornToBe; 05-02-2013 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Educate me on homebirth

Depending on where you live some hospitals run a home birth program where your midwife is provided by the hospital for free. Check out what your local hospitals offer- you may be surprised

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies exactly what im looking to hear about im in wa so they run a community program.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep have already had people trying to put me down saying they wouldnt risk it but just keeping composed and thanking for their opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having a homebirth for my first baby (due in 7 weeks). I researched it for a very long time because I always knew it was what I wanted to do and I knew I would have to back up my decision with a lot of knowledge. What I have just decided to do is to not tell anyone of my plan unless I know for sure they are going to be supportive. Really, you dont need everyone telling you thier horror stories when you are planning for a positive experience.

I highly reccomend you get some books by Ina May Gaskin. She is like the queen of natural birth. Ask the midwives a ton of questions about the way they operate and ensure that you feel 100% comfortable with their way of doing things. You really have to trust in yourself, your ability to birth and in everyone in the room with you if you want it to go smoothly.