+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Charity Donations

Do people out there donate to charities (specifically financially, not time/volunteering)....if so,

do you have a set budget for the year or is it more an 'ad hoc' donate what you can afford when you see an appeal?

Do you spread it around between a few charities or make a more substantial donation to one?

Are you more likely to make a cash donation and get the tax deduction, or go in a raffle (no tax deduction but could win a prize)?

DH and I were talking about this last night and realised we have quite different approaches to this, and a friend of ours said he is totally anti charity donations all together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Charity Donations

I normally put some coins in if I see them at the shops. I encourage the kids to as well. But only certain charities.

ETA Dp isn't big on donating normally but we received assistance a while ago so he will drop coins in if he sees that organisation.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm always giving our outgrown clothing (almost weekly) to Vinnies, if that counts.

Thanks
    Reviews

I donate to Pet Rescue on a monthly basis, they send me a receipt at the end of financial year which I give to the tax man.
    Apart from that I usually put coins in the tin if I see people rattling one.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Charity Donations

We donate to world vision - gets direct debited from our bank account monthly.
    We also give to charitable causes if we see them in while we are out e.g. breast cancer, salvation army.

I tend to not give to charities that bother me in the street.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I use to give cash donations every year, but since reading their annual reviews I am disgusted at how much of that money goes to administration costs and how little actually goes to the cause. Now we do it differently, such as the vinnies sponsor a family at Christmas or similar, where you actually purchase what is needed. The givit list is also an amazing idea.
    Tax deductible doesn't really worry me, unless you are able to donate thousands it isn't going to make much difference to your income tax.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by NatV View Post

I tend to not give to charities that bother me in the street.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Ugh, me neither. There are always people from really bizarre 'charities' that I have never heard of outside my Coles who hassle you when you leave. Like I am going to put down the 12 bags of shopping I'm juggling to find $1 to give you for 'supporting biodiversity'. I feel sorry for the poor backpackers who get employed to do that cos everyone is so rude to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Red Cross automatically take out $20 a month from my account. I know it's not heaps but its all I can offer at the moment.

Would prefer to donate like this to a local no kill shelter... Might see if I can organise it...

Thanks
    Reviews

I buy things on Daffodil Day and that is all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We donate 10% of our income to charity.

I refuse to sign up or give to the door knockers as the charity doesn't get it all, maybe 5% of it at the most.

We also volunteer with a refugee resettlement program.

I also enjoy doing random acts of kindness for people.