+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Big bleed yesterday

HI all,

I had the worst and best day yesterday. I went to the bathroom, wiped and there was just so much blood. It was bright red and it made my blood just freeze in my veins. I've never been so frightened before in my life.

I went back to my desk, told my nearest colleague what was happening and left. I had my 12 week scan scheduled for that afternoon, and while they weren't able to see me then and there, one of the doctors who I work for who used to work in obstetrics did a scan on the spot. THere on the screen was our little 'Rex', flailing its arms around with a nice heartbeat of 150 bpm.

I had the booked scan later that arvo and my placenta has dropped a little to be slightly anterior. Everything else was fine.

It absolutely scared the hell out of me and I'm sitting at work just wondering whether at any time I'll have a miscarriage...damn google this morning hasn't helped one bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had bleeding twice through my pregnancy because of a low lying placenta.

You really need to rest when this happens and not do anything strenuous.

Scared the hell out of me as we had been TTC for 3 years and I just randomly fell naturally while we were saving for IVF!

Take it easy and wishing you and bubs all the best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

MrsJorre  (05-02-2013)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    don't google, it is always full of worst case scenario stuff. People don't tell you that bleeding in pregnancy can be common, but it is. I had bleeding from week 7 to 13 with my last pregnancy and they thought it was from the cervix being irritated. The bleeding came back around week 28 and was bright red, but I had placenta previa (low lying placenta) and that often causes bleeding when the placenta moves around. Hope it doesn't happen again, it can really cause alot of anxiety. Hope you are feeling ok today, i am sure it gave you a bit of a scare.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

MrsJorre  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its such a helpless feeling isn't it. Everything looked fine but I so desperately just want to leave work, go home, lie under the covers and wait out the next 25 or so weeks.....I don't mind if I have placenta previa one bit- 10 weeks in bed in hospital, C section- no problems. I just want my baby to stay put and keep on kicking.

Thanks
    Reviews

As hard as it is try to relax. Dr google is a friend to no one! I had quite a few big bleeds during my pregnancy, and my DS is perfect like a pp said my ob said I had a vascular and irritable cervix which is very common. Big hugs, it is the worst most heart sinking thing to ever see blood! Take care x

Thanks
    Reviews

How scary glad everything was ok though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a massive bleed at 28 weeks. I'll never forget it.

I woke up at about 4:30 in the morning (so it was still dark) as I felt a hot sensation 'down there'. I rushed to the toilet and I'll never forget the sight of blood ********* down my legs and pooling on the bathroom floor. There was just SO much of it.

I stayed fairly calm somehow as my DH rushed me to emergency. I had no idea whether my baby would still be alive. Thankfully he was alive and kicking in there.

The cause of the bleed was never determined, and apparently it is common.

I was admitted and kept in hospital until DS was born 2 1/2 weeks later, due to other complications.

He just turned 2 and is a perfectly healthy little guy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Jesus Degrassi- what an absolute nightmate.

I'm so surprised I didn't panic either. It wasn't until I had the scan and saw our baby kicking away that I just sobbed my heart out...
    I didn't bleed that much, it was enough to soak 2 lengths of toilet paper, and then it was old blood after that so...I guess I sort of knew that it wasn't 'it'. I'll just take each day at a time at this stage. Thinking of maybe going and spending a few days with my Mum in the country to relax though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's always such a scary thing to see, but bleeding can be common and doesn't necessarily (or even usually) indicate a problem.

I had bleeding throughout the first trimester, and was terrified I was losing the baby. My OB said it was basically a burst blood vessel under the sac, which had formed a little pool of blood. And then every time it tried to heal it kind of pulled away and bled again. He likened it to a nose bleed - just a blood vessel that's a bit weak and it doesn't take much for it to give.

Hope you don't have any more. Always worth checking it out, but glad to hear baby was okay.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

MrsJorre  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for the support and reassurance xx