+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Navy would have role in turning asylum boats around under LNP.

Thought I better go find something to back myself up.
    The UNHCR specifically states that it doesn't even recognise the term 'economic asylum', their convention says that these people should be deemed migrants rather than refugees and they aren't afforded any protection under the UNHCR. So it is no surprise that their applications are rejected.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If you ever listen to shock jocks, they go on about the queue jumpers from Afghanistan. They even criticised the government when Nauru was opened again and sent only Sri Lankans there, rather than Afghanis.
    Yeah that's why I never listen to shock jocks, they are predominantly full of it. The media tries to condition us to be anti-Afghanistan, a sentiment which is helped by the fact that many Australians resent our troops being deployed there.

Interestingly most of the Sri Lankans are Catholic (as opposed to most afghani being Muslims) so we are also told to look more favourably on them as they are 'more like us'...despite the fact that the UN says the Sri Lankans have less of a claim on asylum here compared to those from Afghanistan.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Yeah that's why I never listen to shock jocks, they are predominantly full of it. The media tries to condition us to be anti-Afghanistan, a sentiment which is helped by the fact that many Australians resent our troops being deployed there.

Interestingly most of the Sri Lankans are Catholic (as opposed to most afghani being Muslims) so we are also told to look more favourably on them as they are 'more like us'...despite the fact that the UN says the Sri Lankans have less of a claim on asylum here compared to those from Afghanistan.
    ETA : I don't mean most SLs in general are catholic, just most of the ones seeking asylum status here are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Oh, I don't listen either, they make me want to poke my eyes out, but I did hear that last year when all the Alan Jones stuff was unravelling!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    This surprises me. I thought most of them were Hindu or Buddhists.