+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What makes a "good" mum?.....Darn, it would be so simple if we had just a couple of boxes to tick, hope to get some of it right.

What made my mum good was.....I never doubted her love for me (the most important thing), her gentle nature, her support, her brains (she will say she has none) and her respect for the individual I am.

She was far from perfect but she is very good .
    Last edited by Euphrosyne; 05-02-2013 at 10:02.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What makes a 'good' mum?

I think when they're little that its the little things that count, you know those trivial things that really make their day, I think it's these things that let them know- mum loves me

My mum alway was and still is my 'safe' place I hope I am creating that for my kids too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What makes a 'good' mum?

Double post.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Easy...HAPPY KIDS!!!!
    I disagree with this. I think many parents get it wrong when they strive for their child's happiness as the measure for successful parenting.

I think a good parent is one who is loving, fair, consistent, and gives the child their time and support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I think it is always trying your best you have at any given moment and understanding that needing a break or a time out does not make you a failure or a bad parent, it makes you human.

Self sacrifice and always putting everyone else first means nothing if you burn yourself out.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Self sacrifice and always putting everyone else first means nothing if you burn yourself out.

I agree with this. While I do put my family first 90% of the time, the other 10 is for me and I refuse to feel bad about that. After I had my first child I thought a 'good' parent was one that was essentially a martyr. Then I realised no child benefits from a burnt out, unhappy mum or Dad. So it's a balancing act I think.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (05-02-2013),HugsBunny  (05-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd have to agree re burnout - burning out doesn't help your kids, neither does role modelling behaviour that shows the kids that women are servants for everybody else...that's not good for little boys or girls.

I think a 'good mum' is just one who tries. Makes mistakes, but endeavours to do better next time. I have never thought of myself as a 'good mum' nor a 'bad' one, but when I am with DS I think to myself "I must be doing something right".

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (05-02-2013),HugsBunny  (05-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good parent leads by example - it's no good talkin the talk if you don't walk the walk.

That includes happiness! If you're not happy and balanced in your life you can't expect your kids to be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I agree with this. While I do put my family first 90% of the time, the other 10 is for me and I refuse to feel bad about that. After I had my first child I thought a 'good' parent was one that was essentially a martyr. Then I realised no child benefits from a burnt out, unhappy mum or Dad. So it's a balancing act I think.
    I am much the same, I burnt myself out big time after DS1 was born, it led to PND and took a long time to come back from.

Putting yourself first every once in awhile doesn't mean putting yourself ahead of your children, It means you recognise That your needs and feelings are important too, which is a great quality to teach your children imo.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What makes a 'good' mum?

Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I think if you put your kids needs first then you're a good mum. For me it applies to everything, I don't buy anything unless I have enough formula, I go without sleep to settle my baby, I try to be loving and available even when I just want 5mins for a coffee. It's pretty basic but it works for me .
    It sounds like it works for you and you're a good mum for being able to do that and be happy doing that.

I'm just not sure that's required to be a good mum. You can still take time for yourself and look after yourself. Yes the kids come first mist of the time, but I think being a good mum takes balance. Happy mummy makes happy baby!

A good mum does the best she can to provide love, comfort, food and shelter their children need.