+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Being a Real Estate agent with young kids?

Just wondering if there are any real estate agents out there in BubHub-land who have young (under 10 years old) kids?

I've been thinking about what I want to do with myself in the long term future, and as I already work in a real estate office, I like the idea of one day being a licensee. Of course, to do that you need to have a certain amount of real estate experience before you can get your triennial.

I currently have an almost-two-year-old and was planning on trying for number two in maybe two or so years (give or take). But with the unpredictable hours of real estate, I wonder if it's such a good idea to get into it while he is so young??

Any info/experience from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Ill be honest It's really really tough! I'm extremely lucky that I don't work full time and we own the business! ( plus i have pa) I personally don't believe you can be a successful female agent and have small kids

My DS is 2, my mum lives down the street and luckily can mind him with very short notice , daycare/pre school won't help as most of my appointments are after 5 or weekends. As you know a potential vendor can call you at 4 in the afternoon to sign them up at 8pm that night, buyers want to see homes after 6 and if your not available they will go elsewhere - again I'm
    very lucky , after 24 years in sales I only take on referrals or deal with people I want to!

You also need a very available and very supportive partner - my DH works in the business as well - I won't go back full time until DS is in high school ( unless I can retire before then!)

Also don't forget you only get paid if you sell the home, all the late night appraisals /appointments you don't get paid for unless they buy the house!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 04-02-2013 at 17:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for not pussyfooting around it! My DH's job requires him to be on call most of the time so it's probably not the best way for me to go, at least not yet :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Just learn as much as you can in the office now - or even look into becoming a sales persons personal
    Assistant - they usually don't have to
    do as many after hours stuff - then when your babies start high school - go for it!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks EM