+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Ever feel a bit rejected...?

Yes, not by friends but family. My teo close friends and their families are my family moreso these days. Apart from my two brothers. My parents divorced when I was 25, bot have moved on with new partners and two of us three kids have been pushed aside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've been feeling this way a lot with my mum lately. We've never been very close and since my DD was born I've been trying to make more of an effort. My photo was in a couple of big papers a couple of weeks ago and I told her the day before. Asked her on the day if she bought them "oh no, thought I'd just have a look online a bit later". I know it's childish as I'm 28 but I was upset. I asked her to come over last week...no, she was having herself a "relaxation day"...meanwhile I have a baby who never sleeps and am trying to do an intensive short course. I am exhausted and never get a break but it doesn't occur to her to come and give me a hand, instead tells me all about how rejuvenated she feels. Said ok, how about next week "no can't, I'm taking the dogs to the groomers". ???!?!!!!!?

I give up. I'm trying to get over it and accept that we just won't ever be close but it really upsets me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm one of those awful people who would sooner be cool on a friendship than be rejected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Oh greenmumma I understand completely. My mum is exactly the same :-( it's so hard when it's family especially mum cause you only get one of those. It's also hard when I see the support and friendship my friends get from their mums

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with sunnyflower. When we moved to Perth we knew no one and it was tough but I made some great friends through DD1's school including one mum whose daughter and mine became best friends. We've been really good friends all of last year but they have had lots of financial hardships, moved twice, and generally been very stressed. Also I've noticed she has no friends outside her family. I think she's just one of those people who lets friendships slide when times are tough rather than rely on them, and also she is extremely close to her parents and her in-laws and tbh I find that level of closeness a bit strange (like they do everything together and live in each other's pockets). We frequently get blown off for her family.

I'm keeping her at a distance now. It's embarrassing to keep contacting someone who never contacts you themselves.
    Last edited by Sonja; 04-02-2013 at 19:15.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a horrible year with my so called friends, being treated like crap. I have now thrown myself into work and avoid school, i always put myself out there I'm sick of trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    As in you put yourself out there for a friendship with someone you like... and they sort of don't return it. Sigh.
    It's not the biggest deal in the world... just feel like I can't be bothered putting energy into people sometimes.

I was actually the person who "rejected" someone recently and I feel terrible about it. I didnt mean to do it.

DD1 went to a music and dance class and another Mum and I used to chat while we were there. One day the other Mum gave me her phone number and said that they wouldnt be returning to the music and dance class in the next term but perhaps we could come over to her house so the girls could have a play together. I honestly meant to call her, but somehow it slipped my mind and before I knew it 3 months had passed and then I was too embarrassed to call. I do feel terrible because it would have been difficult for her to put herself out there and make the effort. I know from our conversations that she had an older son who had aspergers and didnt cope in loud or noisy environments and he preferred to stay at home, so she didnt often get out of the house.

I hope next time someone befriends me I dont brush them off.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 04-02-2013 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I have a fear of rejection, therefore I stick to the same 3 close friends I've had for years.

I have little time to establish new friendships anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I'm one of those awful people who would sooner be cool on a friendship than be rejected.
    I think this probably happens more often than a lot of us realise... so we're all actually doing the same thing to each other, the very thing we want to avoid! Ah well.

Just have to be resilient, keep getting out there. I actually found it much easier to make friends when I was a single, working type... being a SAHM kinda limits the options a bit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I was actually the person who "rejected" someone recently and I feel terrible about it. I didnt mean to do it.

DD1 went to a music and dance class and another Mum and I used to chat while we were there. One day the other Mum gave me her phone number and said that they wouldnt be returning to the music and dance class in the next term but perhaps we could come over to her house so the girls could have a play together. I honestly meant to call her, but somehow it slipped my mind and before I knew it 3 months had passed and then I was too embarrassed to call. I do feel terrible because it would have been difficult for her to put herself out there and make the effort. I know from our conversations that she had an older son who had aspergers and didnt cope in loud or noisy environments and he preferred to stay at home, so she didnt often get out of the house.

I hope next time someone befriends me I dont brush them off.
    Do you still have her number I would contact her and just ask if she wants to meet up. And see what happens

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wantmore For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-02-2013),penny92  (19-02-2014)