+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Bedtime battles wiith 7 year old

DD1 is nearly 7 and a half and has never been good about going to sleep (apart from between about 15 and 20 months).

Anyway, she's 7 and a half now and is still a nightmare at bedtime. Unless she goes to bed very late (around 9) she carries on and on wanting more play time (in bed), more books (she reads to herself), just more.

I know she needs more sleep as if she goes to bed at 9 she's still asleep at 7.30, which doesn't work during school.

Last night she was beside herself, and when DH and I were talking to her she kept saying she hates going to bed, she just hates going to sleep. She's been saying this for months - sleep is "boring" and she hates going to sleep.

It is so frustrating as she has to go to sleep every night - end of story. This is not a fight she will win but she still puts up a fight, every single night.

Has anyone else faced this with a 7 or 8 year old? anyone been able to change this?

She doesn't fear sleep, or her room, or shadows, or nightmares (she rarely has them) - she would just rather play. It is driving me insane as I feel like every night is going to be a battle which is an awful way to end the day as she is such a good kid in nearly every other respect.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry can't help but I feel your pain. DS is almost 8 and I battle with him every single night to get him to bed. For the same reasons.

I find music helps him relax & fall asleep faster. Limiting "screen time" (TV's/DS', etc) an hour before bed too. We try to give him around 15 mins of "quiet time" actually in bed - he can read, or just lay there, and when his little timer goes off, it's lights out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkSmarties For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Bedtime battles wiith 7 year old

My 8 year old is exactly the same. Sleep is boring apparently and we face the same battle every night. I've given him the bed time of 8:30pm and he will go into bed and muck around for ages.

I get so frustrated and fed. The only thing i've had some success with is putting a video game ban in place. I start with one day, if he keeps on mucking around i make it 2 and so on.
    He changes his ways for a while but usually goes back to old ways in no time.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Maybe a reward chart for going to bed/sleep without a fuss might work? A sticker could be added each night for a good night and then they can earn something really awesome

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ds1 is 7 in May. We used to have this problem.

We just took all stimulating things out of the room. Ie books, toys etc.

It was kiss, hug, night night, love you. That's it. No discussions, no arguments.

Took a little while for ds1 to settle but he eventually realised that's it. We still occasionally get the bored complaint but he now knows it will not work. When we say bed time we mean bed time.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    Maybe a reward chart for going to bed/sleep without a fuss might work? A sticker could be added each night for a good night and then they can earn something really awesome
    Yes we do this from time to time and it works for maybe one or two nights then back to the carry on. I might try it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Ds1 is 7 in May. We used to have this problem.

We just took all stimulating things out of the room. Ie books, toys etc.

It was kiss, hug, night night, love you. That's it. No discussions, no arguments.

Took a little while for ds1 to settle but he eventually realised that's it. We still occasionally get the bored complaint but he now knows it will not work. When we say bed time we mean bed time.

I'll try this again. She shares her bedroom with her sister so she sometimes winds up going to sleep in our bed as she carries on so much she wakes everyone else up.

Half the problem is I am often putting her younger sister and brother to bed from 7 to 730 alone while she tootles about and then she wants some one on one time with me which is fine but by 8pm I want some time alone or with DH. I feel for her as as the oldest she does a lot of helping with her siblings once she gets home from school and just helping me generally (without needing to be asked) - she really is a great kid but just won't go to bed

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'll try this again. She shares her bedroom with her sister so she sometimes winds up going to sleep in our bed as she carries on so much she wakes everyone else up.

Half the problem is I am often putting her younger sister and brother to bed from 7 to 730 alone while she tootles about and then she wants some one on one time with me which is fine but by 8pm I want some time alone or with DH. I feel for her as as the oldest she does a lot of helping with her siblings once she gets home from school and just helping me generally (without needing to be asked) - she really is a great kid but just won't go to bed
    Ds1 shares a room with ds2 (who will be 4 in May). When/if ds1 plays up only ds2 is allowed to go our bed. It's not normally allowed so it's 'super special' lol.

I understand the wanting one on one time. It is tough. Maybe try setting a timer once younger siblings have gone to bed and once its finished bed?

Hope you find a solution that works for you soon.