+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im yet to have a child in school but i dont agree with homework either and certainly not if its stressing the child out. Learning should be enjoyable for them.

Once dd is in school if i think she is getting too much or she doesn't want to do it i will be informing her teacher. They shouldnt be given any homework in primary school imo, esp the first few years!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Homework battles

Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Just a suggestion

Do you read together at night? Before bed?
    Could you incorporate the readers into that routine?

And make it fun. Special mummy and Coop time

Which book first Coop?
    Let's read it together.

Let's look at the cover, what do you think it might be about? Why?

Let's look through the book. Look at the pictures together, discuss what's happening in the illustrations.

Now Mummy is going to have a turn to read a page, now it's Coop's turn, now time for Mummy, now a page for Coop etc etc. oh this is fun, I love reading with you Coop etc (stay positive!)

As for the sight words, just do a couple each night. Work them into your afternoon or morning routine, take advantage of any teachable moments if you can rather than make it too formal iykwim.
    Fancy biscuit lady has hit the nail right on the head with this one

You read to him, pointing to the words as you do so he can follow along. Talk about the pictures, help him try and figure out the story from looking at the pictures :-)

He won't get penalised for not doing the readers so don't stress too much on that, what will happen though is that he'll struggle in class if his reading and subsequently his writing aren't up to where they should be.

Take the pressure off a bit, it's only the first week :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (06-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Homework battles

Today we had a playdate over. Playdate left about 15mins ago so we did some reading. There was about 3mins of whinging and a few tears but he read the books several times. I said he only had to read 1 but he read 2 of the 3 today. He was very proud of himself for reading them.

I tried to get him to look at not just the pictures but also the words. He pointed to the words and read from the pictures too.
    Today was much much better than yesterday.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Homework battles

There are some great idea for getting home work done that I will have to try as this is ds's first year of home work and I am not looking forward to it

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub