+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with London. I wouldn't be forcing a kid to do homework - honestly think it's just too much. 9-3 (without travel) 5 days a week for a little one... it's enough, I think they deserve a break and to spend time guilt free doing whatever they want after school, before school and Saturday/Sunday.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Homework battles

Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Something that takes maybe 5mins can take about 4 hours as she will just keep stessing that she has too much to do rather than just starting.
    Ah - are you in my household right now? DS, instead of just starting his reader & getting it over and done with, is sitting here "There's toooo much, it's going to take foreverrrrr to reeeeaaaad" (imagine whingy voice)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Homework battles

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSmarties View Post
    DS is ADHD and right now we have the pouted lips, snotty nose and rolling tears. Has been going for almost an hour. No TV/DS/etc until its done. Currently he's not even looking at his work (DH is helping him). So I feel your pain OP. I have not missed this during holidays & hope this year his psych can come up with a strategy that actually WORKS.
    Some tips from a OT colleague of mine-

Attention disorders are the antithesis of homework. Often kids get the wriggles, or they can't focus on the one question they are supposed to be answering.

Wrigglers can benefit from doing their work standing up. They can shift from foot to foot, bounce on their heels, etc, as they lean over the table.

As for focus, there's often so much distraction on one sheet of written questions with pictures! It can help to use a sheet of thin card to cover up the q's not being worked on. By revealing one line of text at a time, the eye can focus on only the relevant info.
    If having writing above the question proves to still be distracting, get out the scissors! Yes, it's well within your rights to carefully carve that homework sheet into individual cards with one question, problem, activity or task on each.

These strategies might help with the underlying problems leading to the whinging or 'I don't know how to do it!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't agree with homework . The kids need a break. Ds hasn't had much over the years but I would probably let him have a break after school and then get it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkSmarties View Post
    Ah - are you in my household right now? DS, instead of just starting his reader & getting it over and done with, is sitting here "There's toooo much, it's going to take foreverrrrr to reeeeaaaad" (imagine whingy voice)
    Yep. That's pretty much how it is but DD#2 has to read chapter books over a week or two. She gets homework grids of all the tasks that need to be done over 1 or 2 weeks so she will just stress about everything that needs to be done. Even the things that aren't compulsory.

We do similar to what marepoppin said. Or we did last year. Her homework grid was different to everyone else as it had bigger print and different tasks were colour coded. And yes we got out those scissors and cut every task up and threw out the non compulsory tasks. She had a smaller book and each task was glued in seperately on different pages. Kind of out of sight out of mind. She did still try to turn the pages to stress about what else there is to do but it was easier to get her to focus on one thing at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Homework battles

We have been given 3 reader books. The only book we attempted today had 7 pages with 4 words in each page all the same apart from the last word. Got to page 3 after spending an hour on the first 3 pages with him carrying on and whinging.

Going to speak to his teacher tomorrow and talk to her about it. Afternoon battles each day i can only take so much of and i feel 3 books each week plus sight words work sheets are too much for him. Its just too stressful.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just a suggestion

Do you read together at night? Before bed?
    Could you incorporate the readers into that routine?

And make it fun. Special mummy and Coop time

Which book first Coop?
    Let's read it together.

Let's look at the cover, what do you think it might be about? Why?

Let's look through the book. Look at the pictures together, discuss what's happening in the illustrations.

Now Mummy is going to have a turn to read a page, now it's Coop's turn, now time for Mummy, now a page for Coop etc etc. oh this is fun, I love reading with you Coop etc (stay positive!)

As for the sight words, just do a couple each night. Work them into your afternoon or morning routine, take advantage of any teachable moments if you can rather than make it too formal iykwim.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 04-02-2013 at 17:35.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Homework battles

Another tip we learnt from the Ready Reader program. Let Coop chose a book, let him flick through it and look at the pictures and words himself... Then come back together and talk about what he thinks the book is about, read it to him one night and then have him read it the next night

Sight words, dont do them all in one go, break them up into 5 word lots and do different ones every night.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-02-2013),HugsBunny  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Our homework routine

big chat about their day at school etc no homework talk on the way home. It only gets them worked up.

When you get home get out of uniform and have afternoon tea and more chatting. Then while your still at the table grab out the homework ONE piece at a time. If they see everything it can be overwhelming. You take note of the time but don't let on to him. Work for 15 to 20 mins and what ever he gets done in that time is what gets done. Don't make him sit there any longer or you will setting yourself up for a life time of battles. Let the teacher know this is what your doing. Don't let C know that you set time. Remember to stay calm and happy the whole time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Homework battles

Will try some of these suggestions on wednesday as i have afternoon at work tomorrow.

It was a struggle last year doing it and i dont want it to be like that this year.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub