+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Homework battles

Gah, its the first day of getting homework and the battles have begun. This morning before schoop, i told DS he would be getting homework today so there wouldnt be any tv until homework was done.

Now we are home, tears are a rolling, snotty nose is a running and the crying has started.

Anyone else hate homework battles? I am sticking to my gun of no tv til its done.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Homework battles

Is he too tired after a full day of school to do it first thing after school? Would it be better to do it with him first thing in the morning? Or after dinner?

We let DD choose when she completes her homework but she knows it has to be done before dinner each night or before breakfast in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Homework battles

No time in mornings most of the week due to me working and having no help. Yes he is tired after school but who isnt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a similar battle with DD2 (grade 1).

I give them afternoon tea and 1/2hr of free time and then it is homework time.

That has worked for us, rather than doing it straight away.

Have you tried a reward chart? Also if he gets to distressed there is no point in pushing it as it won't help him. Let his teacher know that he is getting very upset about it so she is aware of the situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we have battles here too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Homework battles

Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    No time in mornings most of the week due to me working and having no help. Yes he is tired after school but who isnt.

ETA, no time after dinner either as its bed time for him.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally, I hate homework. They have 6hrs at school to do school work. DS is in year 3 this year and only last year did he have homework and then it was just one worksheet a week. He did it after school on the first day he got it so it was done...but I didnt force him to do it. Im looking forward to the battles Im going to have with his teachers as he gets older and brings home hours of nightly homework....cos I wont be forcing him to do it all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Homework battles

DS is ADHD and right now we have the pouted lips, snotty nose and rolling tears. Has been going for almost an hour. No TV/DS/etc until its done. Currently he's not even looking at his work (DH is helping him). So I feel your pain OP. I have not missed this during holidays & hope this year his psych can come up with a strategy that actually WORKS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Homework battles

Homework is a tricky thing... On one hand, London has a very valid point about there being 6 hrs in a day for kids to do academic work, why should there have to be a nightly battle over homework? There was a primary school featured on The Project the other night that has an Opt-Out policy in homework; maybe all schools should have one
    On the other hand, we don't want our kids penalised for not handing in their homework so we force them to do it. A thread appeared today about the distress one 8yo felt at not being able to hand in her homework to her teacher... There must be a lot of pressure for kids to be doing this work. As a parent, I would feel obligated to ensure my child did his homework. Is it really beneficial in primary school though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, major homework battles here. No problem with no tv on or no playing etc just major stress with DD#2 who has ADHD. No time in the morning and doesn't work after dinner and rewards charts don't help. Our problem is she just can't focus properly on one thing at a time and stresses about how much she has to do. Something that takes maybe 5mins can take about 4 hours as she will just keep stessing that she has too much to do rather than just starting.

We did work out a bit of a system with last years teacher that was working better so I will have to talk to the new teacher when she gets homework to see if we can do the same thing again this year.

I breathed a sigh of relief when my twins came said they didn't have homework today. They will probably get it tomorrow though.