+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting solids

So DS is 4 months next week and although we won't be starting solids until he's ready (hopefully at least a month away), I know it's something that will be happening soon.

I was wondering how you coped with boob, bottle and solids? Or is that when you decided to go to just bottle?
    Atm he has boob and 120ml bottle or 180ml at night so he doesn't get a lot from me at all...
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 04-02-2013 at 15:16.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting solids

We've started letting our boy lick/taste fruit now (13 weeks) as he's a whopper and our pediatrician recommended starting solids early. We're planning on fruit purée in a few weeks time. So far he really likes to lick apples, pears and bananas

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    We've started letting our boy lick/taste fruit now (13 weeks) as he's a whopper and our pediatrician recommended starting solids early. We're planning on fruit purée in a few weeks time. So far he really likes to lick apples, pears and bananas
    How heavy is he? DS is 15 weeks and 8kg's, born 9 pounds 14 so I honestly thought he'd be ready for solids pretty early but he seems pretty satisfied with what he's getting atm. Unless I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bubba does a boob in the morning when he wakes around 6am, then solids for breakfast around 8.30, bottle around 11 after a sleep 150mls (because boobs are at work )
    sometimes he has lunch or usually just something to chomp on
    (only been on solids for a month - only now have we introduced lunch .... Previously it was just milk)
    bottle at 3.30ish after a sleep 150mls
    dinner solids around 5pm
    boobs at 6pm before sleep, boobs again at 11pm
    So ..... 5x milk or bottle
    plus 2 -3 solid meals

No idea how much he gets from boobs .... not heaps i don't think as i had initial supply probs and dont get leakage ..... so i think he gets just enough.
    with the bottle we find if he has much more than 150mls he chucks it up.
    he's a chubby happy baby .... So it seems to be the right combo for him!

hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I comp fed DD with a formula bottle after every boob feed and didn't find introducing solids to be any big hassle. It's quite exciting which I think makes any 'work' involved worth it.

I started with pureed vegies at 5.5 months, once in the morning about 30-60min after her first boob/bottle. She loved solids and by how readily she ate them (pitching herself forward to the spoon) I think she could have started at 5 months. Milk or solids, she's never been one to eat a lot in any one sitting though.

I didn't switch to just bottle until 8 months but that was more to do with my own supply issues than anything else. Starting solids gives you another option when out and about too. So if you end up out longer than planned, your boobs haven't filled up yet, you already used the bottle you packed, you can give them something to keep them happy that bit longer until your boobs are ready or you get back home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting solids

My DS was getting boob plus 100ml at 11am and another top up of 100ml at about 5pm. He also gets formula at night.

We ended up just replacing those top ups with solids. He seems fine with this and is a very healthy boy. So he is now getting only BF during the day. I'm kind of hoping that as he is more established on solids he may drop some night feeds. So a bonus for me as less washing and sterilising of bottles