+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety

Hi ladies,

This morning before work I had a huge panic/anxiety attack. I started back after holidays last week and have been feeling (very mild) anxiety about returning for several weeks. Last week I had a really good week at work, but this morning I just freaked out!

Anyway, I've been to my GP and she's prescribed xanax for me (to take as rarely as possible - I'm hoping that once I actually get to work I'll feel ok). What I want to know is - does anxiety make your pregnancy 'high risk'? I'm worried, because I'm booked in to have our baby in a family birthing centre and they only take low-risk women. I have my next midwife appointment next week. Should I tell them that I have been feeling anxious and have been put on medication? I'm tempted not to mention it, because I don't want them to tell me that I have to have the baby in the normal ward. I'm completely confident that I'll be fine once I finish up work.

So what do you think? Tell them so that they can give me the best possible care but risk being told I can't have the baby in the birthing centre, or don't mention it?

TIA

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have panic and anxiety attacks and have (years ago) been prescribed anti-d's for them...but I never filled the prescription and dont take anything.
    At my midwife appointment I told her that and she seemed fine. Its actually one of the questions they ask now 'do you suffer from anxiety?'. They should get you to fill out a questionaire which gauges your level of anxiety and then they make a determination from that. I am not high-risk so Im not sure what would happen if you were.

So I guess just mention it and see. You would much rather they people providing you care KNOW about you and your medication..well, I would anyway.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anxiety

I don't think it makes your pregnancy high risk, but it certainly raises a few flags with regard to PND.

The more open you are with your healthcare providers the more they are able to help you.

Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No it does not make your pregnancy high risk. I would tell them, I am sure there would be others in the same situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anxiety

I don't think so as its not a medical condition as such... I guess if you were having daily panic attacks where you ended up hospitalized that it would be different though

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right, I'd rather they know these things so they can look after bubs and me as best they can. Who knows, I may feel a lot better by next week once I'm more settled at work. It's such a shame because I've been really loving my pregnancy so far. I still am, it's just work grrr! Only 5 weeks left until I can relax (until baby arrives anyway lol).

Thank you all for your replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    I don't think so as its not a medical condition as such... I guess if you were having daily panic attacks where you ended up hospitalized that it would be different though
    I'm sorry but a diagnosed anxiety disorder is as much a medical condition as say diabetes. It can be very crippling to every aspect of your life.

To the op, I have suffered from anxiety for several years and was not classified as high risk for pregnancy. I was however told I would be a prime candidate for post natal depression. So far no signs of it. But it is important to be aware of the signs so you can get help if you need it.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    I'm sorry but a diagnosed anxiety disorder is as much a medical condition as say diabetes. It can be very crippling to every aspect of your life.
    True. But it's not something a birthing centre would be taking into account when assessing your suitability

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety

I would say that if they've prescribed drugs then it would b considered a medical condition. Many ppl in my family suffer from anxiety and the doctor has told them it is classified as a mental illness, so even if it is not severe I would def tell ur midwife, best not to keep secrets from ur doctors I would say.