+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ngaiz- who are you with and when did you get this validation? We most likely won't try until April, when the EDD is a month past the waiting period, but it would be good to have that reassurance regarding a premmie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MBP, I just emailed them. Sent a few back and forth until it was clear. Emailed in December, joined Jan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were with AHM and they covered my D&C from my miscarriage because bub was due after the 12montg waiting period. But I had to change to family cover BEFORE and baby was born so that if they neede special care ect they were covered.
    A couples membership will not cover your baby if they are in special care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like Auntyamber said, ensure that the baby will also be covered under your membership.
    I am with Latrobe and my Edd is 14/4/13 and my waiting period ends on the 10/4/13. I sent a letter of confinememt from my Dr and I have a letter from Latrobe to confirm I am covered for an early delivery only, I am not covered for any pregnancy related things that do not result in a delivery. I updated to family cover 2 months prior to my date of confinement to ensure babies are covered also.
    I have been so paranoid about it..I don't want any nasty suprises or bills. I have emails and letters to confirm my cover just to be sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    BUPA told me to update to family cover within 2 months of bub's birth. As in before its 2 mths birthday. I was so paranoid about it, call 3 times, got 2 email confirming this and even went to speak to a BUPA advisor.

They said that if bub needs to be admitted to NICU just a phone call to let them know would do - no waiting period for bub...

PHI all seem to have very different rules. No wonder we get confused!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lili81, you're right. My sister is with Bupa and was telling me the same thing yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Medibank Private & when I upgraded my cover to cover obstetrics the lady told me that as long as baby's EDD fell over the 12 months waiting period, bub would still be covered if they came early.

However, I upgraded my cover in December, and I'm due in November, so I've fallen a month short & now have no idea what we're up for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I upgraded my cover in September when I started trying. My bub is due this July. No where near the 12 month wait. I promptly rang back and down graded my cover again. No point paying for it when I can't use it anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought about doing that MrsR, then I thought what if this bub doesn't stick & we had to try again, then I'd have to re-start the waiting period again! I might go in there & ask them what's best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I was told my medibank when in the same situation that as long as bubs due date was outside the period... Eg you took phi in January, bub is at the earliest due in January the next year (so 12 months) but comes say December, you would be covered. As long as dr confirms what the edd was.
    I would speak to a supervisor or something and then ask for it in writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scm82 View Post
    Medibank aren't budging. Does anyone know of another insurer who will cover in this instance? I am not willing to risk it or put off ttc for yet another 2 months.
    All very confusing, and it doesn't help when you call them you often get a 'newbie' or someone that misunderstands your question.

when I worked for hbf and medibank private as long as your edd or edc (estimated date of confinement) fell outside the 12 month waiting period, you would be covered.

Also you can't upgrade to family cover until bubs is born, assuming this is your first child. You can certainly advise them you are expecting, and doing so by email to confirm your cover etc... Is a good idea.
    When you go to the hospital to have a baby usually, the baby is Not admitted as a patient, but if they are added (usually within a month or 2) they will not serve additional waiting periods (assuming you yourself have already served the 12 month pre-existing wait)
    phew! Hope that all made ssense
    Mel x