+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    437
    Thanked
    69
    Reviews
    0
    I was advised by MBP that as long as the EDD fell outside the 12 month waiting period I would be covered for a premature birth.

    However I changed to family cover more than 12 months before we started TTC to ensure this wasn't an issue.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    482
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    141
    Reviews
    0

    Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR2bMum View Post
    I was advised by MBP that as long as the EDD fell outside the 12 month waiting period I would be covered for a premature birth.

    However I changed to family cover more than 12 months before we started TTC to ensure this wasn't an issue.
    Same here

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Medibank aren't budging. Does anyone know of another insurer who will cover in this instance? I am not willing to risk it or put off ttc for yet another 2 months.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane North
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,581
    Thanked
    1,802
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scm82 View Post
    See, everything I have read says this

    I will be going with HCF if they won't agree as it's not worth the risk of not being covered, but I would rather go with Medibank as their benefits seem to be better.
    I had the same thing with HCF. They wouldn't budge either. and i have been with them for years.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    I decided to just sign up and take the risk. Researching was doing my head in, and if I do find something great in the meantime I can always switch. I will TTC in mid june, and that will give me a 3 week margin for error if I do get pregnant on day 1. Small chance both will occur...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,322
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

    Quote Originally Posted by scm82 View Post
    Medibank aren't budging. Does anyone know of another insurer who will cover in this instance? I am not willing to risk it or put off ttc for yet another 2 months.
    BUPA will. It's based on EDD rather than actual birth date.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    16
    Reviews
    0

    Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

    BUPA definitely do. Our DD was due literally days after we were covered for maternity (we fell pregnant in first month of trying thinking it would take months) and BUPA confirmed that as the EDD was after 12 months of coverage as long as we had a letter from our obstetrician we would be covered. DD was an emergency Caesar and we had no problems with BUPA whatsoever. Just make sure you switch to family cover two months before as if bub needs to go into NICU they won't be covered otherwise. Good luck!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    1,502
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

    If you have a very early premmie chances are you would have to go to the large public women's hospital in your state anyway. Whilst you could book in as private there isn't really any difference, so don't stress too much.

    I agree with pp, wait 4 months before ttc- if you fall pregnant first cycle then you could be a month early and still covered, 2 months early and you probably wouldn't be able to have your baby at a private hospital anyway.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    1,502
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
    Just make sure you switch to family cover two months before as if bub needs to go into NICU they won't be covered otherwise. Good luck!
    If you're covered as a couple already there's no need to switch anything. I am with Bupa and DD was admitted to NICU for 15 weeks and she was totally covered.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    If you have a very early premmie chances are you would have to go to the large public women's hospital in your state anyway. Whilst you could book in as private there isn't really any difference, so don't stress too much.

    I agree with pp, wait 4 months before ttc- if you fall pregnant first cycle then you could be a month early and still covered, 2 months early and you probably wouldn't be able to have your baby at a private hospital anyway.
    Ah well that is good to know. To be honest I am completely starting out learning these things, apologies if it is obvious!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Public or Private hospital better for baby due Xmas holiday period ?
    By burpy in forum Private Health Insurance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 19:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!