+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

Hi guys

I will be TTC in a few months and therefore am looking to get private health cover started now. I am leaning toward MBP with mid hospital/top extras.

I read on here (and heard elsewhere on the internet) that if a baby has a due date outside the 12 months and a doctors letter confirming this, but for some reason is born early, they will still cover the birth. The rep told me on the phone that the waiting period is strict when I asked about this though. She said 'in some cases' she has heard of this happening but it's not standard. I thought it was though.

Is anyone with MBP and can confirm/deny this? I know a lot of the time the reps don't really know the policies beyond the basic questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm pretty sure the waiting period is based on the baby's expected due date. I remember looking into this when I was picking PHI. I can't remember exactly for each fund, I ended going with HBF and they definitely base it on expected due date.

Learnt later when I read the fine print that NICU is only covered if you have 'family' cover prior to the birth (not just two singles like DH and I do) so we changed that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

I'm sorry I can't help you. I'm with medibank and I didn't have to serve any waiting periods due to the fact that I was just changing health funds. What they said to me was if I still had any waiting periods that the baby would have to serve them too, but because I had none, the baby is covered right from birth and I have 2 months (?) to change my cover from single to single parent/family. Hope that helps a little

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't know about medibank but Latrobe definitely cover you if the edd is outside of the waiting period but bub comes early, just need a letter from your doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I was told my medibank when in the same situation that as long as bubs due date was outside the period... Eg you took phi in January, bub is at the earliest due in January the next year (so 12 months) but comes say December, you would be covered. As long as dr confirms what the edd was.
    I would speak to a supervisor or something and then ask for it in writing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I was told my medibank when in the same situation that as long as bubs due date was outside the period... Eg you took phi in January, bub is at the earliest due in January the next year (so 12 months) but comes say December, you would be covered. As long as dr confirms what the edd was.
    I would speak to a supervisor or something and then ask for it in writing.
    See, everything I have read says this

I will be going with HCF if they won't agree as it's not worth the risk of not being covered, but I would rather go with Medibank as their benefits seem to be better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Well you should go with the fund that works best for you. If you're concerned get it writing.
    When you think about it, you are covered for obstetrics as soon as as waiting period us done. We just ttc in the 'safe period'.
    So we upgraded out phi with medibank in October. But didn't stsrt ttc until January just to be on the safe side.
    If you want to go with medibank you can get it in writing you just have to ask.
    Good luck!! I find phi so confusing at times and although the benefits have been good with medibank we've had tons of trouble with them too!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think they may cover you if you are a long time member who is "upgrading" but it's a case by case basis.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Medibank private - Waiting period not waived if baby is early?

I was told by bupa, ahm, hcf, aus unity and mbf that 12 month waiting on Preg services is strict.

If you take it in January. Bub is due the following January but is born say December 30th...regardless of letters, edd etc..

Not covered.

You must wait your 12 months to the day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsR2012 For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I work in the industry and can confirm for our company at least, as long as your EDD is past the 12mths, then we would honour the costs for an early labour. You would provide a letter from OB confirming the EDD.

To be safe though, it really is best to ensure you have the cover in place with enough grace period - so minimum 3-4mths before TTC. This would save you the hassle of having to fight the red tape if you were to have a premmie. Good luck.