+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am enjoying a reprieve from the cost of 2 kids in full time day care as they are both now in public school. It was like paying a second mortgage there for a while! But, I expect the costs to ramp up again as they get older and start to do more activities. They live a simple life at the moment, but it can't last forever! Then, we start again with DD who will go into daycare when I return t work. Money comes in, money goes out.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: A spin off and q about school aged kids

What if i don't need ooshc? I work 1 minute from the school and DP will do drop offs, so i can run down as soon as the bell rings, and when they're a bit older they can walk up to the library after school. Haven't quite figured out school hols but my work is very family friendly and flexible- parents can 'buy' more leave for school hols etc.

I was expecting food and entertainment to get hugely more expensive, but i don't really think we'll be worse off if we don't need to pay child care or for uniforms.
    Oh and my kids aren't allowed braces unless they pay for it out of their pocket money

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Oh I don't like this thread at all. I thought I was going to be in a better financial position when my 3 year old started prep. Guess I was wrong!
    Honestly you probably will be as the 4 to 8 year old are the cheapest years (after a newborn of course). It is pre-teen years it starts going up very quickly from there, Mid to late teens being the most expensive.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-02-2013),FearlessLeader  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If there is no OSHC I would say you will end up better off (until perhaps they are teens and are eating you out of house and home and wanting the latest expensive gadgets).

The thing is, most people compare it to what they already required - most who needed child care will need OSHC, a stay at home mum didn't necessarily need child care, so won't need OSHC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find, in addition to all of the above mentioned costs, that kids sport/activities are quite a big cost. My older 2 children do 2 sports/activity each, and they are around $100-$150+ per term, so $400-$600/term for both of them, and fees semm to increase as they get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    With no out of school care I'd say you'll break even. You'll save on care fees, but with what everyone listed, school supplies, uniforms, excursions, more food, plus everyday clothes etc etc will cost a lot more.

But then I'm a SAHM and only had my kids in care 1 day a week. Both went to pre school 2 days a week which cost me about $100 p/f. That $100 p/f is quickly eaten up though by school stuff. So I would say compared to when they were 3, I'm worse off by a bit. But for someone like the OP who paid a lot of CC fees, she will probably find it about the same.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Kids are expensive. I do think older kids are more expensive. They eat more, have more needs and wants, get invited to more birthday's, have excursions and camps, music programs, and the amazing amount of fundraisers at school, book club and tuckshop, not to mention stationary, uniforms, and everything to do with that...

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A spin off and q about school aged kids

The older the more expensive

For example dd2 (4) sneaker $60 dss (14) sneakers $180
    Socks for dd2 7 pack $7 dss 3 pack $10
    They eat more dss will eat I piece of steak where dd1 & dd2 still go halves in one.
    They seem to use more electricity & water too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: A spin off and q about school aged kids

More expensive for me. As kids hit about a size 8 the cost of clothes goes up a lot. My 8 year old wears down and destroys shoes in no time. We seem to go through at least 2 school bags a year.
    Already in the first week of school i need to pay $90 in music fees for the term, $45 for books, $24 for excursions and buy a recorder. On top of that they've sent home book club catalogues so i'm being harassed for money for books.

After school care fees and vacation care fees are a lot cheaper for me than daycare.

But there is also sports, dentists visits, more fuel being used to get around places when you have older kids.

I can only imagine by the time they hit their teens they will be far, far more expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Oh book club they all come home here as well this week. So for my first year boy it's a novelty and he wants one. DD wants a kids cook book. It's books, something we value highly so I feel like we can't say no lol but I think we might make a rule of only every 2nd or 3rd time they can buy.