+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A spin off and q about school aged kids

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    What? Does OSHC cost $80 per day? That is ridiculous, that is more than I pay for 12 hrs in the nursery at Childcare. I also thought going to school would be cheaper
    Mine is $25 per day before rebates- I don't know anyone who pays tht much!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Mine is $25 per day before rebates- I don't know anyone who pays tht much!!
    Mines also around this price it's around $50-$60 when it's vacation school holiday care when they have the kids all day long and take them to the movies and what not but regular care mine is also around $20/$25 before rebates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I can tell you feeing a 13yr old boy who towers over both mum and dad is not like feeding a toddler.

No matter where we go he is now at adult prices (one of my pet hates)

He wears size mens 11 shoes and they don't come cheap anywhere. Uniforms OMG his high school uniforms cost me $500 that is just the shirts and shorts.

Yep they do get hugely more expensive as they grow.

Thanks
    Reviews

DH was super-sporty as a teen and when his mum talks about how much he used to eat I break into a cold sweat.

I'm talking like 10 weetbix and 2L of milk for breakfast (after early morning cross country training)
    At school he would take HALF A LOAF OF BREAD made into sandwiches, as well as fruit, biscuits, muffins etc
    After school he would finish the rest of 'his' loaf of bread in sandwiches (before hockey/cricket/footie training depending on season)
    Then come home and be starving for dinner.

His nephew at 15 is shaping up to be the same.

I've told him if this baby we're expecting is a boy he better go get a second job and start saving for groceries now.

I think boys in particular can also be very hard on clothes - his mum said everything lasted him about 3 months before it was outgrown, worn out or torn.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry but I have to agree with everyone...............kids get more expensive as they get older for all the reasons mentioned.

I cant help but giggle when his dad complains about spending $200 on food for the 4 days he has him every 3 weeks...he just doesnt get how much it costs to just feed this 8yr old let alone alllll the other crap they need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I don't like this thread at all. I thought I was going to be in a better financial position when my 3 year old started prep. Guess I was wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow, I have to say, it's not the case for me really. Full time day care cost a fortune compared to oosh care. My 10 year old is definitely more expensive to feed, but clothing isn't a huge cost, public school is cheap as chips and her activities aren't pricey at all.

Daycare was costing me a couple of hundred per week. And when DD went there was no 50% rebate, either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Baby DS:

breastmilk
    nappies
    little solids
    minimal clothes etc

Toddler DS:

Child care - $365 pw child care minus $7500 p.a. rebate = $220.77 per week
    Lunch costs - $0 due to child care provided
    Dinners/breakfasts - approx $50? pw
    Clothes included hand-me-downs for child care (no uniform)
    Swimming - $10 per week
    Haircuts - $25 every month or so
    usual gas/electricity/etc

School-age DS

Before AND after school care = $90 per week after rebate
    12 weeks holiday care throughout the year = $2,700 p.a.
    School uniforms - $36 for ONE tshirt, $40 for pants, $10 hat - up to several times per year, not including the MORE expensive Winter uniform.
    Lunch foods only - approx $50 for fresh fruit, fresh veg, healthy breads, homemade snacks
    Dinners/breakfasts probably another $40 on top of lunches/snacks.
    $206 p.a. school fees (and I am very lucky this includes books and stationery)
    Throughout the year - several 'gold coin donations', excursions, swimming lessons for which we have to pay (school has a pool)
    More games/toys/parties for which we provide present.
    More after school activities.

I have left a lot out.

There's no doubt that child care is a killer. I really think my DS costs more now, although it is a relief that I'm not transferring over more than $700 per fortnight in one go just for care. As mine gets older he eats more, needs more, wants more. I'm really scared for when he is a teen lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really comes down to each families individual lifestyle and wants/needs... For some people it will be cheaper or the same and for others itll be alot more expensive

Thanks
    Reviews

My older children (11, 8 and 6) cost me much, much more than my 4 and 7 month old children!

I'm not going to list what the expenses are because everyone else already has, but the misconception that public school is cheap really bugs me. My 3 older kids go to a public primary school and to return this year it cost me:

Fees:
    $780 ($260 per child)

Stationery/books:
    $160 (DD1)
    $180 (DS1)
    $120 (DD2)

Uniform:
    $500 (will need to be topped up through the year)

DD1 has an overnight camp this week that costs $100, then she has a week long camp later in the year which will cost approx $500, DS1 will have a 2 night camp which will cost approx $250.

That's not including excursions (up to $50 each one), incursions, special lunches, school production costs etc.

That's just school. Add in everything else everyone has listed and older children definitely cost more!