+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was relieved going from paying child care to paying OSHC, but as children get older they do eat more, clothes are more expensive etc. When I worked it out, before and after school care + vacation care + the ridiculous uniforms plus the fact I have to pack his lunches now, I think I'm probably worse off $$$-wise TBH.

A SAHM would definitely find that school aged children are about umpteen billion million times more expensive than a bit of breastmilk, a few solids and nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: A spin off and q about school aged kids

Both boys went 2 days a week at daycare. It's a 15 min drive each way. Once school started for ds1 it's that trip 10 X a week. So fuel bill has gone up a fair bit.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but ds1 goes through shoes so much faster at school! Another expense.

Buying enough food for lunch boxes added a bit more to our budget.

Ds1 is in grade 1 now and excursions will become more frequent. At daycare if a performer came in it would be maximum $5 per child.

We are lucky that our daycare bill is quiet low due to our income. While I wouldn't say it's massively more expensive with school I have definitely noticed an increase in our expenses. Will wait till next year when ds2 starts prep to fully make up my mind

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default A spin off and q about school aged kids

My brother's vac care is $80 a day (at least).

I think BSC is $30 and ASC is $35, no matter if you're there for ten minutes or three hours.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Oh and don't forget, money for canteen occasionally or if they're doing a sausage sizzle or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    oh and bus fares school started wed last week I was hit with $20 for bus fares for sport for the next few weeks. The next day another come home only $5 but for bus and pool admission for the carnival. So that's $25 in 3 days for buses. DS is there now too so times by 2...

and pocket money. Most 3yos don't understand the concept nor are they are on your case every Friday lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They sure do get more expensive as they get older!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They do cost more, trust me

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep they definitely cost more.

Thanks
    Reviews

Not sure if you ladies know but after school care is also subsidized by the government even if your not eligible for the CCB (like us) you will still get the CCR which is 50% reduction on your fees which every family regardless of income is entitled too so that $80 a day will be halved.
    This also applies to normal daycare for younger kids too. Just Incase you didn't know.

Thanks
    Reviews

Older kids do cost more!
    Cost more to entertain
    Cost more to buy for (bdays Xmas)
    Cost more to feed
    School books increase with some
    High schools requiring a purchase of a laptop nowadays.
    Schools especially independent schools like ours what a fee for this a fee for that every week is $5 here $6 there which all adds up.
    Whilst it sounds a little more spaced out then say a smaller child you do definitely feel the pinch! Especially of you h e kids born in December and January like us with Xmas ad back to school expenses all in that 6 week break!