+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default A spin off and q about school aged kids

I hear lots of people say that kids get more expensive as they get older- is that true? If they've been in child care and then go to a public school, or if they've been at home and mum goes back to work/picks up more hours, I don't see how that could work. I basically want to know if I'm being naive and not thinking of costs. Here's what we spend $ on the kids at the moment:
    Child care
    Nappies
    Food
    Clothes
    General family costs like electricity, petrol, activities like zoo etc
    Over the 7 yr span I have at least one at home I'll be working between 0-3 days per week.

When they're both at school the costs will be
    Clothes
    Food
    Activities like swimming or an instrument
    School levies and costs for excursions etc (no uniform at this school)
    General family costs as above

And I'll be back in full time work- Mon-fri 8.00-3.30

To me that seems like we will be saving loads of money. I'll be earning more and there will be no CC fees.

Does that sound right or am I dreaming?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    kids get more exspensive as they get older because they use and want more things. e.g eat more, use more electricity, want more expensive toys/clothes.

Also basic schooling cost less than daycare but you then have to add on school supplies, lunches/ morning tea, uniforms, extracurricular activities such as sport or music. Most of this stuff is included in the price at day care.

also you have more play dates and birthday parties. Plus the kids will want to go on outings eg movies, theme parks

I think people are just niave about how much it all costs as the prices are about 10x what they were when the parents were kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My 14 year old costs a lot more than my younger children. Clothes and shoes are FAR more expensive, there's haircuts and so on too. Going to movies, etc etc. pocket money if you give it. Mobile phone etc. even at public schools there's the school contribution, uniforms and books.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Vacation care or OOSHC if needed - mum pays at least $80/child/day. Which is $3360 a fortnight for 3 holidays, and then 4 weeks in the summer!

Birthdays: more presents, bigger parties

Want more expensive things, use more electricity.

School supplies.

Lost uniforms (happens all the time)

They eat lots more food.

Extracurricular activities are quite expensive. Plus you might end up buying an instrument if they enjoy it, getting it fixed if it gets broken

spending more on petrol driving them to and from friends houses, school activities etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Now he's in school there is before/after school care fees, school care fees and the freaking ridiculous uniform prices. There's after school/weekend activities which are never free. Excursions. More wanting for toys etc. My mother says my 6 year old eats more than her. I am scared for when he is a teen, I will have to work full-time purely to fill his tummy.

His MCNs were a walk in the park compared to this, I was totally unprepared.

If you're finishing at 3.30 will you have after school care fees?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    They def get more expensive. They eat more I cannot keep up with the food they gorge lol They want more expensive xmas presents. Their uniforms cost a fortune. There is school excursions, after school care. Good school shoes and runners will set you back at least $150 a child total. You will save if you are paying CC atm.

My experience so far is that not many jobs are 9-3. If they are it's more sporadic casual work, and then being casual they'll also make you work shifts that don't suit as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

What? Does OSHC cost $80 per day? That is ridiculous, that is more than I pay for 12 hrs in the nursery at Childcare. I also thought going to school would be cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh gosh vacation care kills me, too!! I hate holidays!!!!!!!!

Don't forget delirium, you will be lucky to get two months out of those $150 shoes

I just paid $150 for two school shirts, and two pairs of pants. I estimate the pants will have holes in the knees well before April and his new shoes are already getting dirty/smelly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I feel that DD costs more now than she did as a baby or toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

There's also things like braces etc

Aside from daycare fees I estimate my 14 year old costs more than all 4 of my other children (all under 5) put together.