+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fellow caravan owners

We just got our first caravan and we are starting taking trips.

I was wanting to know what some great things to take and pack. What are some useful tips/items etc

Any camping tips???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am a future caravan owner! My caravan is on order and I am due to take delivery in 16 weeks- the beginning of June. Can't wait!

What caravan did you get? What are you towing it with?

What to pack? I'm sure it'll get refined as you go. I've already started buying certain things for the caravan, but I'm sure there'll be things I've forgotton or haven't thought about that I buy afterwards.

Some things that are on my list is;

BBQ tools
    Cutlery
    Dinnerware (I'm going to get Corelle as I have a microwave in mine and melamine can't go in the microwave)
    Camp Chairs
    Table and/or chairs for eating
    Toiletries and towels

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing as we pick our new van up next week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle73 View Post
    Subbing as we pick our new van up next week
    What caravan are you getting Noodle? What are you towing it with?

Thanks
    Reviews

Well we have a old van that we are fixing up. It was hard finding full van that sleeps 4 kids and two adults. But we found an old one so its getting done up. I would love a new one but will wait for my kids to be older and then they can respect it

I've got plates, cutlery, sharp knives, tongs, saucepans,etc.

I want to get those rubber mats.

We don't have an oven or stove (microwave is going in) but was thinking if getting a convection oven to cook in on the bench top. Not sure if that's practical or not.

Was also thinking a urn so I've always got hot water for cuppas and dishes. Again not sure on this.

I do have a portable sink and bench. It sits outside and it's awesome since we cook and eat outside

Hmmm what else???

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi SM we are getting a River Eliminator and our tow vehicle is a diesel Patrol (that we have just chipped) what about you?
    Like you off to get the Corelle dinner set and will transfer a lot of stuff from our trailer! Bought some rubber matting from the cheap shop for the floors also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    onelasttime- sounds good. It must be hard to accomodate 4 children, but it'll be so worth it- I'm sure they'll love it!

Noodle- never heard of River Caravans but it looks nice. I love the window above the queen bed- it's the little things, isn't it. Are you planning a first trip?

I'm getting a Windsor Entice 430. I have 1 child so we have an extra bed for a guest. I can't wait- 16 weeks can't go quick enough.

Oh, and my tow vehicle is a Toyota Aurion. It has a tow weight of 1600kg- hence the smaller caravan. Money didn't extend to a new car. I'm still hoping I win one!

I don't have an oven in mine but I think I'm going to get a Weber Q- that way, can use it for roasts, baking and bbqing.

Also, we're going to get a porta potty. For those late night trips when I don't feel like treking to the amenities by myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love camping! We have a Golf pop-top camper, the Bush Challenger 1. We got it new back in July & go away with it whenever we can. We previously had a hard-floor camper, but the set up time was eating into our weekends too much. With the pop-top, we are set up in under 30 mins . We tow it with DH's work ute (Nissan Navara 4x4) if we're going bush camping. That way we can toss firewood in the tray. If we're staying in civilisation, we take our Kia Sorento.

OK, this is a looong list! Here is all the stuff that permanently lives in our camper:

2 sets of bed linen- one set on the bed and one set spare (I change the linen when we’re packing up, so the bed is clean & ready for next time)
    Bath towels
    Beach towels
    Tea towels
    Cutlery
    Utensils- corkscrew, bottle opener, can opener, tongs, eggflip/spatula, BBQ scraper, egg rings, wooden spoon, scissors, potato peeler, grater, bag clips (for open chip packets), large strainer.
    Chopping board, large knife & small knife
    One large & one small saucepan
    Frying pan
    Lighter for gas stove/BBQ (handy to carry a spare as well)
    Camping stove (2 burner) with gas cylinder
    Hotplate for the camping stove (makes it into a mini-BBQ)
    Wire stand for the camping stove
    Plastic bowls in various sizes (for chips, lollies, fruit, cereal, etc)
    Large mixing bowl
    Re-usable containers in various sizes
    Glad wrap and foil
    Plastic plates
    Uncoated paper plates- the cheap, flimsy ones (we use these as ‘liners’ on the plastic plates to minimise washing up)
    Serviettes
    Food cover nets
    Plastic drinking cups
    Ceramic mugs (we made a drawer insert from foam & cut out holes for the mugs)
    Whistling kettle
    Electric kettle
    Toaster
    12V and regular mobile phone chargers
    Portable radio/CD player (with aux cable for mp3 player)
    Stubbie holders
    Small first aid kit, box of panadol, aerogard, sunscreen
    Lights, lights, lights- battery operated and wind-up torches, rechargeable LED lanterns, solar powered light, head lamps (miner-style), clip-on book lights.
    Misc stuff like pens, paper, spare batteries, etc.
    Paper towels, tissues and wet wipes
    Flushable toilet seat covers and rolls of toilet paper
    Rain ponchos (the $2 ones in the small packets)
    Household stuff- Sponges, scourers, washing liquid, hand soap, laundry powder, jar of coins, fly spray, mortein mozzie lantern, refills for the lantern, plastic bags for rubbish.
    Coffee, sugar, hot chocolate, tea bags
    Condiments- olive oil, canola spray, BBQ & tomato sauce, seasoning/spices, salt, pepper, etc
    Non perishable food- baked beans, four bean mix, noodle cups, tinned vegetables, soups, tuna, munchies, long life milk, etc.
    Camping chairs
    Camping table
    Large piece of heavy-gauge shadecloth 3m x 3m(we use it as a mat underneath the camper awning instead of a tarp, no puddles when it rains)
    Broom and dustpan & brush
    Shovel, hammer, small axe, shifter, thin wire, wire cutters, cable ties, spirit level & other basic tools in DH toolbox.
    Fishing rods & tackle box
    20L bucket
    Badminton set
    Tennis racquets & balls
    Playing cards
    Tent pegs (various sizes), poles and ropes
    Clothesline rope and pegs
    Long outdoor extension lead & powerboards (for powered sites)
    Hoses- one for filling water tank and one for drainage
    Rubber thongs, plastic clogs (croc-style) and sneakers
    Dedicated camping clothes (shorts, Tshirts, PJs, swimwear, socks) plus some winter items incase of a cold spell.
    Duffel bag for dirty laundry
    Backpack for excursions (bush walks, theme parks, etc)
    Wheel chock and timber planks to put under the wheels & jockey wheel (use a spirit level to check before you unhook your car)

Stuff that goes in the car (super easy!):
    Big ice chest and/or esky for drinks (depends how long we’re going away)
    Fresh foods & cold drinks (sometimes we start up the camper fridge the night before we leave & I’ll pack the food straight in there. We run the fridge on gas while driving)
    Portable gazebo
    Small bag each for undies, toiletries, book, magazine, iPod, hat
    Set of ‘nice’ clothes & shoes incase we go out somewhere for dinner or entertainment
    Blow-up canoe, 12V pump, paddles, life jackets (if we’re going near a lake or ******)
    Firewood if allowed to have fires

Tips:
    • You may have to rinse out the water tank with a solution of vinegar & water before the first use. We didn’t & the water tasted horrible!
    • Do all your frying/messy cooking outside on a BBQ or camping stove. Set it up under a portable gazebo so you can use it in any weather.
    • Use the stove inside the camper only to boil water, potatoes, eggs, etc. Stuff that won’t splatter & make a mess.
    • Don’t do a hot breakfast the morning you are packing up if you are in a caravan park. Have all your cooking gear washed up & put away the night before and do a light breakfast of cereal, toast, yoghurt, &/or fruit. Its too stressful having to wash, dry & put away a heap of stuff in a hurry. Especially if rain could start any minute. Most parks have a 10am check-out, so you are packing up against the clock as well as the weather.
    • Take a note of the consumable items that are running low so you can re-stock when you get home (eg. coffee, sugar, washing liquid, etc).
    • Wash your camping linen & clothes straight away and return them to their spots in the camper.
    • Line your drawers and cupboards with anti-slip matting.
    • Practice setting up your camper, awning, gazebo, etc at home before you go camping the first time. It will give you an idea how long it takes & whether you’ve forgotten any items. Also, other campers will watch you set up like its a spectator sport! You don’t want to be flustering about and arguing with your DH because something is going wrong (yes, that does happen!).
    • Put up the awning poles so the fabric slopes in one direction & water can run off.
    • Don’t leave rubbish bags outside where possums or other wildlife can get into them. Use a bin with a lid, or keep it inside at night.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lordy Lordy SD- I have a long way to go!

Thanks for the tips- very useful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries , and congrats on your new van!

That list was accumulated over many camping trips. We started off in caravan parks where we could duck out to a shopping centre for things we needed. I didn't realise how much stuff it added up to until I wrote it all out . But it is now our well-stocked mobile hotel room and we love it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-02-2013)