+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Switching from BF to formula - did your bub do this?

I have had to switch from BF due to a medical condition, i am really upset about it and the way DS is acting is making me feel miserable.
    He is clearly hungry, but will fuss and take over an hour to have only 100mls of formula. He is smiling very littl, whereas he used to light up all the time and was almost laughing. He is upset most of the time if he is not being held or played with. He is bawling when he cries, whereas he just used to grizzle.
    I miss my happy little boy and all I want to do is comfort him, and now it was so hard but before the boob fixed everything.
    My question is, will it get better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it will get better and easier. My baby was also forceably weaned due to medical reasons and I spent a month or two walking the hallways trying to distract her so I could sneakily slip a bottle in. It was heartbreaking for her and me. Hang in there. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for your reply, that makes me feel better did you also feel very emotional and teary? I know I am upset in general but I'm wondering if the hormones from stopping suddenly are making it worse (I'm crying a lot)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes i was very emotional and felt like I was failing my baby somehow. I also got mastitis from sudden weaning which made me very sick for a week which didn't help my emotional state. My baby is now a thriving happy healthy 2 year old and is very secure and confident so I don't think it damaged her in anyway however I felt awful at the time like I was traumatising her. We are both fine and you and your baby will be as well

Thanks
    Reviews

Just a thought but have you tried different formulas? Perhaps your bub might like one brand more than another - many brands have "sample" packs and/or ready-to-drink packs that are cheaper to try than a whole tin. I'm considering changing to formula as I've had a very hard time bfing - so far I'm expressing and comp feeding and I also feel guilty - we all know how good bm is. But formula is also quite good and it's more important that your bub is fed and healthy

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks guys, hopefully it will improve soon. He's not really taking enough formula and has lost a bit of weight he's getting a little better at taking the bottle, but so whinge because he used to comfort himself on the breast. And now I also have mastitis, god I feel so weak and unwell, which certainly doesn't help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing. I know how you feel. Yes to everything. I found it a lot quicker with my boys, they were around 6 months DD was 9 and just awful. It took 2 months for her to feed 'properly' to the point I didn't think she was hungry, slept better, happy times during the day. She also had absolutely horrible hard poos from not enough fluid which made me feel terrible. All of them were clingy and cried for me to pick them up. It's such a sad time and yes I was extremely emotional and cried a lot - with them However, I was able to slowly move on but I still mourn the long term bf relationships I didn't get to have. Give it time. In my experience , the formula wasn't the issue, it was just that it was not the breast. Your beautiful bubba will be back soon, it's natural for you both to be sad. *big hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews

What bottle are you using? Have you tried any others? It could be he simply might not like the feeling of the teat and perhaps trying a different one might help. Also no matter how hungry his stubborn bum is, my DS won't take a bottle unless it's warm.

Sorry you're having such a hard time