+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would also love those that are higher income earners and are against this bonus to respond to my question would they support middle/higher class welfare like PHI rebate, first home buyers, CCR, BB etc be abolished as well since the tax payer is funding those too? particularly since all but CCR are wants not needs to people that don't even really need it?
    Just to check areyou assuming that its only higher income earners that are against this bonus?

Myself and my partner pay a huge amount of tax, and no we don't have lots of tax breaks.

I'm not sure how this bonus works (if its means tested) but I think that there are a lot of families struggling at the moment and a bonus to help families buy what their child needs for school is a good thing, i want it to stay. Even better if its means tested because those on higher incomes prob don't need it.

Child care rebate is the only way a lot of working families can afford to go back to work. If its abolished, a lot of women would not be able to afford childcare, so could not go back to work and this therefore decreases the workforce (and the income tax pool).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Nope it doesn't. The factory shift workers working 12 hour days in hot dusty conditions earning not much more than minimum wage in my town are proof of that.
    Yep!!!

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like these 2 questions answered please. I'd really like to know peoples views on stuff like this, particularly if you'll be voting a government for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    So for people who are saying this is a good thing. Where do think the money is going? And why is it better there than as a bonus to help with school costs?
    would they support middle/higher class welfare like PHI rebate, first home buyers, CCR, BB etc be abolished as well since the tax payer is funding those too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree partly but you cannot generalise about anyone's situation. Obviously the more you earn the more you have to play around with, but DH and I pay shedloads of tax each year.
    Oh I do understand the tax you pay, obviously if you earn more you pay more. But what I mean is, percentage wise compared to a lower income earner, including your tax breaks, you do come out better.
    Its not like a high income earner is paying 30% tax (or whatever it is) and not getting any of it back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But you received the BB didn't you? and you receive support from the govt via FTB? don't get me wrong, I have zero issue with that, you are entitled to support. But if you feel so strongly against it, why take it?

We did get the baby bonus as for other aid no never have. I have gotten aid in the US before but not much there is a time limit of 4 years over your entire life and I still had 26 months left last time I got off of it so yes I have needed aid in the past but still think all these bonuses etc are just going to be too much for the country to stay afloat if they continue.

Thanks
    Reviews

But that's just not true. Higher income earners get more tax breaks, the more you earn the more you get back. You need to look at things percentage wise because everyone earns a different income.
    This is not necessarily true. We pay I think either 50% tax or close to it and we only claim back the normal stuff like PHI and medical bills. Not everyone paying huge amounts of income tax has a magic accountant to get it all back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    This is not necessarily true. We pay I think either 50% tax or close to it and we only claim back the normal stuff like PHI and medical bills. Not everyone paying huge amounts of income tax has a magic accountant to get it all back.
    Max rate is 45% though. And you get some back through the roads, the schools, the hospitals, the police etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'd like these 2 questions answered please. I'd really like to know peoples views on stuff like this, particularly if you'll be voting a government for it.

Oh I do understand the tax you pay, obviously if you earn more you pay more. But what I mean is, percentage wise compared to a lower income earner, including your tax breaks, you do come out better.
    Its not like a high income earner is paying 30% tax (or whatever it is) and not getting any of it back.
    You have to stop generalising though - I have no idea what you mean by "high income earner". It can mean different things. Yes some high income earners (whatever that means) do very well with negative gearing, or other deductions, but some so called high income earners do not.

I am not for one second saying I do it as tough as a low income earner but sweeping generalisations about anyone's situation do nothing but annoy people.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't understand what this has to do with the school kids bonus?

If you earn more money, then you earn more money. Of course you are better off. You are also contributing a larger amount to the income tax pool.

We pay the highest rate of tax. I still would personally like to see the school kids bonus stay and there are a lot of families who simply don't have the spare money for new shoes, uniforms and books.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Max rate is 45% though. And you get some back through the roads, the schools, the hospitals, the police etc etc
    45% then. But doesn't everyone get tax back through schools, hospitals and roads? I'm not complaining about paying lots of tax at all, im just saying that it's a misconception that high income earners can claim extra things back at tax time to get it all back.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You have to stop generalising though - I have no idea what you mean by "high income earner". It can mean different things. Yes some high income earners (whatever that means) do very well with negative gearing, or other deductions, but some so called high income earners do not.

I am not for one second saying I do it as tough as a low income earner but sweeping generalisations about anyone's situation do nothing but annoy people.
    Agree ^^^