+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

I don't have a school age child and don't receive any bonuses but what confuses me is my SIL was saying today that the government has apparently stopped the teachers aids in public schools this year (my niece has Aspergers and has had an aid a few days a week ) and her kids school - the local school- is just falling apart - I think more money should be spent on better education, facilities, teachers etc would it not be better to put this bonus money towards these kinds of things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would also love those that are higher income earners and are against this bonus to respond to my question would they support middle/higher class welfare like PHI rebate, first home buyers, CCR, BB etc be abolished as well since the tax payer is funding those too? particularly since all but CCR are wants not needs to people that don't even really need it?
    I think so, I think it is wasted money that could be spent elsewhere. The Child care one I think should be given but I dont think that parents who do not work should be able to use it I think more should be done for working families to help them remain working.
    Last edited by Lovemyfam; 03-02-2013 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would also love those that are higher income earners and are against this bonus to respond to my question would they support middle/higher class welfare like PHI rebate, first home buyers, CCR, BB etc be abolished as well since the tax payer is funding those too? particularly since all but CCR are wants not needs to people that don't even really need it?
    I support this paymenet but I'll answer anyway. I don't agree with the PHI rebate at all and think it should go. Costs of PHI have gone up massively since it was introduced with no increase in benefit. I have real issues with this payment.

BB not really sure about - I didn't get one for DD2 or DS1 and gave the one we did get for DD1 to the Salvation Army.

CCR I actually support as I like to think the rebate means some child care centres can charge more and hopefully pay more to their staff as a result, meaning staff are happier and there is less turnover.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (04-02-2013),Clementine Grace  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't have a school age child and don't receive any bonuses but what confuses me is my SIL was saying today that the government has apparently stopped the teachers aids in public schools this year (my niece has Aspergers and has had an aid a few days a week ) and her kids school - the local school- is just falling apart - I think more money should be spent on better education, facilities, teachers etc would it not be better to put this bonus money towards these kinds of things?
    We still have teacher's aids in pre-primary and kindy, but have never had them in years 1 onwards.

What year is she referring to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I think so, I think it is wasted money that could be spent elsewhere. The Child care one I think should be given but I dont think that parents who do not work should be able to use it I think more should be done for working families to help them remain working.
    But you received the BB didn't you? and you receive support from the govt via FTB? don't get me wrong, I have zero issue with that, you are entitled to support. But if you feel so strongly against it, why take it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I can't imagine an Abbott government redirecting funds from the school kids bonus back to schools. If they did it has the potential to cause an uproar - the bonus is distributed based on FTB A eligibility. Schools in "poorer" areas would end up getting more - would never fly with the "what's in it for me?" set who are the average Liberal voter.
    Of course it won't go back to schools, private maybe but not public. He has said it will go to tax breaks, of course for the rich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    One thing of like to point out, whilst wealthy people usually work their a$$e off to get their higher pay (higher up roles, more stress, longer hours, more responsibilities ect) they actually barely receive any incentives from the government and get their pay taxed HALF. So in the end they actually don't end up with a huge amount in their pocket.
    One thing I would like to point out is working your a$$e off doesn't necessarily mean higher pay.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-02-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (04-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    One thing I would like to point out is working your a$$e off doesn't necessarily mean higher pay.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub
    Nope it doesn't. The factory shift workers working 12 hour days in hot dusty conditions earning not much more than minimum wage in my town are proof of that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have never received any grants/rebates/bb ect ( maybe PHI rebate when we were not earning much money!) and I have no problem with those , and as mentioned I don't have school aged children yet but I was thinking the public education system seems so bad I thought the bonus money might be better spent directly on the schools/teachers maybe as obviously the current government does not seem to be fixing the education problems ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    We still have teacher's aids in pre-primary and kindy, but have never had them in years 1 onwards.

What year is she referring to?
    She just started 5th class - but she had an aid up until last year for every other year she's been at school