+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm one of those middle incomers that whinged about the phi rebate cuts. But I also agree with what you say here: we should help out most vulnerable.

I have no idea why Abbot thinks this is a smart move. Lower income people are bound to spend more (probably the whole amount) of the $400. Thus stimulating the economy more. The richer you are, the more you save.
    Let me say, as I always do in these type of threads - I support the PHI rebate. it takes pressure of the public system. I also support funding to private schools despite my kids being publicly educated for the same reason. My issue is that one hand, the semi wealthy to wealthy complain about getting less for something is isn't a necessity. You don't *have* to go private. They are happy to take 14k to build a nice new house. All tax payer funded. But when it comes to the poorest having help to fulfill basic needs they are told nope, do it on your own.

I argued that earlier. The bonus stimulates the economy and helps business.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We just did the pay reviews for our staff last week and even though your figures were out a bit ($50,000 pays roughly 17% tax and $150,000 pays 33% tax) you were right in the end result - our sales guy earns $100k more than our secretary but he only pays 16% more tax
    ahhh thanks for that well there you go, everyone's rates have dropped, so ultimately the rich really aren't paying a huge percentage more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Who said that people with money are nasty? Some of these 'nasty rich people' are doctors, dentists and anaesthetists and may save your life one day

Anyway I've personally never early more than 40k, but just wanted to say that people who earn more get taxed more and end up with no tax breaks. I'm all for helping the lower income earners though, I grew up in a low income family and it was hard. I also think that nurses, teachers and police offers deserve more money but that's a whole other story.
    Last edited by MummaJez; 03-02-2013 at 21:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by 3InATub View Post
    This is exactly us...

What irks me is the attitude that if you're wealthy then you automatically work "so much harder" than a lower income worker. As a generalisation I think it might be the other way around... But with this said, I do get there would be hard workers and not so hard workers across all income levels!
    I don't think rich people necessarily work harder than lower income folks. Infact I see higher income folks bludging and lower income folks working their guts out, 2 jobs to support their family.

But I do think in some cases income levels in later life can be linked to how hard someone works when they are younger. Eg two people at highschool. Person 1 bludges and drops out, gets a low income job. Another works hard, studies and works two jobs to put themselves through Uni and gets a great paying job.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    At the risk of being vilified and left to burn at the stake, I actually think this is a good idea to abolish this payment.

It's not like you wake up one day and go "Oh, X starts school today I have to spend hundreds on school uniforms!"

There's at least four years between your child being born and them starting prep. Plan for it.
    Completely understand what your saying. However, when you don't know people's financial circumstance, it's a bit rough to say plan for it? Maybe some people just can't make ends meet. Not me personally, just thinking out loud. This money would certainly help out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think that What I do think is that we should help our most vulnerable. So that means not begrudging a single mum $400 a year when you (a general you) earn 10 times what she does and feel thankful you don't need it.
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Who said that people with money are nasty?

Anyway I've personally never early more than 40k, but just wanted to say that people who earn more get taxed more and end up with no tax breaks. I'm all for helping the lower income earners though, I grew up in a low income family and it was hard. I also think that nurses, teachers and police offers deserve more money but that's a whole other story.
    But that's just not true. Higher income earners get more tax breaks, the more you earn the more you get back. You need to look at things percentage wise because everyone earns a different income.

So for people who are saying this is a good thing. Where do think the money is going? And why is it better there than as a bonus to help with school costs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read the other replies but I think this is a really cr.appy decision. It supports what i said in an earlier thread that Liberal is all about "what's in it for me?" DH and I are high income earners and I have no problem supporting this payment one bit. And I also agree that the PHI rebate should have gone as it was vote buying. PHI is so ridiculously overpriced all the rebate seemed to do was drive the cost of it up so we wound up paying more anyway (without any increase in benefits).

I really worry about what a Liberal government will do to the public education system. There are some very frightening statistics out there about the system potentially going broke unless it has a major overhaul - which the Liberal party would not do.

My only issue about the school bonus is I'd rather see more money go to the public schools directly but I still think $400 is a lot of help to families who struggle to sometimes pay $3 so their child can participate in a sausage sizzle at school (which happens a lot at our school). So no I actually don't have an issue with it at all.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (04-02-2013),soccer mum  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would also love those that are higher income earners and are against this bonus to respond to my question would they support middle/higher class welfare like PHI rebate, first home buyers, CCR, BB etc be abolished as well since the tax payer is funding those too? particularly since all but CCR are wants not needs to people that don't even really need it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    But that's just not true. Higher income earners get more tax breaks, the more you earn the more you get back. You need to look at things percentage wise because everyone earns a different income.
    I agree partly but you cannot generalise about anyone's situation. Obviously the more you earn the more you have to play around with, but DH and I pay shedloads of tax each year.