+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Affordable, yes. Meaning that those who genuinely can't afford it should receive assistance. Most people I know who receive assistance admit that they do not need it, and would be able to afford childcare without it.
    I think the problem though, especially with middle class families, is you remove help, and their profit margin for both working goes down considerably to the point that by the time you subtract uniforms, petrol to and from work, and full price CC she is better off staying home.

I believe the CCB and CRR need to stay to make it worthwhile for women to work if they chose to. I'm not sure what the cut off should be but I would say def 150k+. Of all the payments for higher income earners this is the one, alone with PPL that I really support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

I think though if the tax system was properly reformed then the cost of Childcare wouldn't be a disincentive to work.

I think the Howard Govt did an enormous disservice by ramping up 'middle class welfare' in the form of FTB and bonuses instead of reforming the tax system.

What a lot of people don't realise is that their FTB is basically their tax being handed back to them. I'm not sure what the income level is now, but certainly a few years ago a family with a school aged child and a younger child remained effectively tax neutral until their income was around $60k.

It seems like unnecessary double handling to take tax with one hand and give it back with the other - especially given the size of the ATO and DHS.

A properly reformed tax system would fix that AND save money in administration.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (08-02-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    It seems like unnecessary double handling to take tax with one hand and give it back with the other - especially given the size of the ATO and DHS.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    But FTB is also given to families who don't pay income tax, and some families who pay income tax won't get any FTB.

The variables are too many. Eg. The qualification on FTB A means that it's not just income driven. Therefore it couldn't have just been built into the tax increments. People who work, but have no children under 18 will never get FTB, so if I earned for example $50000 with no children, I'd get none back in FTB, but $50000 with children, I'd get some FTB.

Before FTB, my mother used to get child endowment - again - the repackaging

Thanks
    Reviews

Affordable, yes. Meaning that those who genuinely can't afford it should receive assistance. Most people I know who receive assistance admit that they do not need it, and would be able to afford childcare without it.
    Surely that depends on cost of childcare as well as income then. Mine is $125 per day. I earn good money and couldn't afford it without the CCR (not eligible for CCB).

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I had 2 children in daycare - it was $65/day each child. So while I was working 2 days a week - I was paying $260/week in child care fees. I'm lucky I have a job which paid more than the $130/day. Then as others have stated, I also had to pay for petrol to get to work. Without the CCR, it probably wouldn't have been worth it. Now my kids are in outside of school care it's a lot cheaper, but still gets steep on school holidays when I pay for a full day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dunno Lambjam, I am in one of those situations, where my husband earns enough, we do still qualify for FTB and Childcare rebates. On paper I am fairly sure we look middle class - or perhaps just a bit lower not sure. But we can't afford to go to the dentist, ever. Apparently there are about 2 million people in Australia that are in the same boat. I don't necessarily agree with paying money to everyone. But I absolutely would love to see free health care, Dental and education, no matter the money you have. I think that is just basic for a well rounded country.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

I didn't mean to start a debate about childcare, just used it as an example. I'm not really inclined to discuss it in BubHub again!